B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cheap Performance Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
2nd Gear

To do a more powerful turbo right, you would need $2-3000. Unless you have a really good job and aren't worried about paying for college I would suggest you stick with your k03. A "Cone Filter" or any other type of cold air filter for our cars is a complete waste of money, the stock airbox provides plenty of air. I would suggest a chip, GIAC and APR are generally considered the best and can be had for about ~$400 (or less during sales).

On a side note, do you have one piece (projectors) or two piece (Reflectors) headlights? If you have one piece, you have a 99.5 which is generally considered the most sought after b5 as it has some of the updates from facelift without some of the "disadvantages" (Fly by Wire)

Last edited by Pbcrazy; 01-23-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

Pbcrazy is right, the cone filter isn't considered a performance mod. It simply changes the sound of your engine (which some people like, some don't) and allows you to hear your turbo spooling more.

TBH, I've never heard anyone say that Fly by Wire is a disadvantage with the A4s. Mine is a 2001.5 (FbW), and I haven't had any issues with my TB.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 AM
2nd Gear

I'd say DBW is an advantage, more power & torque stock, better powerband, and more tuning capability. Back in the day when there weren't any decent tunes people wanted DBC because it was easier to tune and mess with, not so much anymore. I didn't swap in a DBW setup for nothing, and now that I did people are PMing me asking for advice in doing the same.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM
2nd Gear

Ive just heard that it has some sort of lag-time, which cable does not. If that's not true than don't listen to me, I have DBC haha. But anyways, the filter will let you hear more of a spooling sound from your turbo. Carbonio is the only filter that has actually produced gains on our cars but it is not worth the money (coming from a guy that had one installed).

If you do go with a chip, also pick up a 710n diverter valve. Don't get tricked by the $100+ DVs, on a k03 the 710n will deliver and it's only ~$40 new

Old 01-23-2014, 12:01 PM

I went from an AEB for 3.5 years to an AWM (about 4 months now). The DBC does feel a little more responsive, but it makes sense that it should. Like Mad Cow said, tuning is where DBW really shines... especially with built-in wideband oxygen sensing and VVT.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

I just chipped my 2000 ATW 1.8T Quattro car. Cost me $650ish out the door
(I didn't want to send my ECU into APR, I have patience issues lol)

The difference is so amazing. Seriously. Just... do it. Seriously.
I got an APR Stage 1 with the 93 octane file.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

I chipped my atw by sending my ecu to speedtuning a couple of years ago ($175). great investment. drive your car for a few months (6) or so and figure out what needs to be fixed before you spend $500 on a chip.

oh, 202,000 miles at this point.

Last edited by hartsoe1; 01-24-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Budget for a new diverter valve as well when you chip it. Don't forget that handling and stopping are performance too. A set of A8/TT front brakes and a set of S4 sway bars make a really nice change to the handling and braking. I did a writeup a few years ago on my experiences with a full S4 suspension on my 30v. Keep in mind that you'd want different 1.8T springs as the S4 springs would likely raise your car a little. Details here:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy...our-a4-176698/

Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
I went from an AEB for 3.5 years to an AWM (about 4 months now). The DBC does feel a little more responsive, but it makes sense that it should. Like Mad Cow said, tuning is where DBW really shines... especially with built-in wideband oxygen sensing and VVT.
I think the lag feeling is more to do with the throttle pedal map, I've noticed that there's a pretty big almost dead zone in the beginning of the travel. Any tune will tweak the map to make it feel more responsive. Try driving a japanese car from the era when they first introduced dbw, there's literally a second of lag between pressing the pedal and the motor revving sometimes. I have a feeling that's where the whole throttle lag thing started..

Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Budget for a new diverter valve as well when you chip it. Don't forget that handling and stopping are performance too. A set of A8/TT front brakes and a set of S4 sway bars make a really nice change to the handling and braking. I did a writeup a few years ago on my experiences with a full S4 suspension on my 30v. Keep in mind that you'd want different 1.8T springs as the S4 springs would likely raise your car a little. Details here:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy...our-a4-176698/
whats the importance of upgrading the dirverter valve? also, i checked out your post on the s4 suspension a while back and bookmarked it thats also on my list to do. lol

Quick Reply: Cheap Performance Mods?