B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cheap Performance Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Cheap Performance Mods?

Hey fellow Audi owners! Back in October I picked up a '99 A4 Quattro. First of all, I freaking love this car. It's my second car and it is much better than my '96 Monte Carlo. But anyway...I've been looking at performance upgrades. The most I see people talking about is chipping their car. I would love to do this but I'm a little worried about the toll it'll pay on the engine. It currently has 143k miles on it. I'm only 17, but I have a decent job. Are there any other relatively cheap performance mods I can do? Or is a chip going to kill my engine? This is my daily drive, thought I should put that in there. Thanks for all the help!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

The chip would be the best way to go. Depending on the state of the engine I wouldn't worry to much about the toll on the engine. Chip along with an exhaust with a pod filter mod to get a little better sound and spool and you will be set. An aftermarket turbo inlet hose to gain some flow would be nice as well. In terms of performance this is pretty much the cheapest options. Good luck with the car

Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear

Your engine will handle the extra boost no problem, it's the turbo you need to worry about. If it's in good shape it'll last years and year, but if it's not great it could die on you within a month.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

Is your car the 1.8T or the 2.8? I'm no expert, but I think that it would change your mods a bit. I just chipped my 1.8T, and you can really feel the boost. It was about a 25% improvement in HP for $300 shipped (I bought a used one from the classified section). From my knowledge, which could be mistaken, the GIAC chip for the 1.8 mostly has to do with the Turbo. I don't know what a chip would do for the 2.8 which doesn't have a turbo.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

I think the engine in is really good shape. Even the local auto shops say the same. But even with 143k miles on it, you still wouldnt be worried about it? I do want this car to last me a good long while, I'm just afraid that if I chip it, then it'll drastically kill the life of the engine

Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by soulstep
Is your car the 1.8T or the 2.8? I'm no expert, but I think that it would change your mods a bit. I just chipped my 1.8T, and you can really feel the boost. It was about a 25% improvement in HP for $300 shipped (I bought a used one from the classified section). From my knowledge, which could be mistaken, the GIAC chip for the 1.8 mostly has to do with the Turbo. I don't know what a chip would do for the 2.8 which doesn't have a turbo.
i have the 1.8t. i forgot to mention that.. its kinda important lol.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Your engine will handle the extra boost no problem, it's the turbo you need to worry about. If it's in good shape it'll last years and year, but if it's not great it could die on you within a month.
If i were to chip it, just to be sure i would probably put a new turbo in it. what would you suggest i get?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

People have pushed over 300hp on bone stock blocks with the same or more mileage, you'll be fine. As for the turbo, do some reading, we're here to help but nobody's going to spoon feed you.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by george1546
The chip would be the best way to go. Depending on the state of the engine I wouldn't worry to much about the toll on the engine. Chip along with an exhaust with a pod filter mod to get a little better sound and spool and you will be set. An aftermarket turbo inlet hose to gain some flow would be nice as well. In terms of performance this is pretty much the cheapest options. Good luck with the car
What exactly is a pod filter mod? I've never heard of that.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hansonkid
What exactly is a pod filter mod? I've never heard of that.
I think he means cone filter. K&N filters and the like. Do a quick google search and see the DIY's, it's quite easy and only cost me like $60.

Quick Reply: Cheap Performance Mods?