B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cheap(er) coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Cheap(er) coilovers?

So I'm trying to find some coilovers to install on my car, but I want to try and spend around $500. I have only found the Racelands for well below that but I am unsure if they are really just for lowering and not great for handling. I don't want my car "stanced" because I live where I really can't afford to be low to the ground. Let me know if you guys know of any brands for aroud that price, or how I can get another one for cheap!

Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Just get springs

Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

if money is tight and you cant afford to be to low why lower it at all? just leave it like it is that's what i did.

springs is a cheap way to drop it but it well destroy your car.. the chassis well get lose your stock shocks well to to hell quick and it makes the car so stiff like a rock that you might as well have no shock absorber at all lol, this is from experience been inside cars with just springs. horrible!.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

I just installed racelands Thursday I put about 100 miles on them now there not bad bang for your buck I don't regret purchase. I drive the car pretty damn hard and they corner quite well. I'm not totally dumped though
Springs aren't that bad I have 2 sets fs in classifieds if needed 1 race set 1 sport set

Old 11-10-2012, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

my friend is running racelands on his wrx and is slammed and loves them. he said for the price they are definitely worth a shot.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

I don't want my car low though. I am purely interested in installing coilovers for the sheer handling aspect. I really don't want low at all. That is why I liked the concept of coilovers since they are adjustable for ride height. How are Raceleands as far as adjustability? Are you able to make it only like an inch or so lower?

Thanks

Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Honestly, if you want handling - you gotta pay to play. I'd think you get better handling from buying struts and springs combo than those coil overs you mentioned.

If you have a bit money to spend I'd recommend going with ST coil overs.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

I understand I have to pay. I just wanted to get something for a good price. I'm dropping 2k on a whole new turbo setup and wanted to maybe save a little here.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Subarashī Kao
springs is a cheap way to drop it but it well destroy your car.. the chassis well get lose your stock shocks well to to hell quick and it makes the car so stiff like a rock that you might as well have no shock absorber at all lol, this is from experience been inside cars with just springs. horrible!.
I've never heard of springs destroying a car.

They do cause the stock shocks to wear out quicker, but they do not destroy a car.
Cause the chassis to get loose? Umm okay. Maybe the control arms will wear prematurely, but I've never heard of a loose chassis.

Not all springs/shock combinations are alike. A lot of people love the H&R/Bilstein combination.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

If I'm going to pay almost $800 for shocks and struts I might as well just get coilovers for the same price.

Quick Reply: Cheap(er) coilovers?