B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Yeah, no kidding. If you picked up a spare set of interior trims, did this treatment to them, and sold them on a core-exchange basis, you'd probably make a nice dime if you kept the price realistic.
Yeah, I might look into that for the future. Right now I'm looking for people that can send me their trim and I will send the same trim back wrapped in carbon fiber.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator

That may work too but it would probably be worthwhile to pick up a spare set, do them up in advance, and sell them exchange-wise so people don't have to drive around for a week or so with no trims and their interiors torn apart. Still, being winter and all, at least some people probably store their cars (or at the least, have a second car they can drive so they don't have to reassemble the whole thing, then tear it down again after the parts come back).

Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

I hear you. I took my time when I did mine. So I drove around for a while with out mine and it didn't really bother me because I saw the progress I was making and it was all going to be worth it once I was finished. I only took apart my interior once! Let me share with you the trick. It's called super velcro (the industrial stuff). Not that stuff you can by in the store. This is a special order and it's made by 3M.

It looks like you have taken the trim out before so you should know what I am talking about. By far the hardest one is the long dash piece. When I removed mine I broke the clip that is closest to the steering wheel. The only reason to remove the radio, hvac, center console, etc. is to get to the clip directly behind the hazards. So I left the glove box out until I was all finished and put all of those 4 clips back and super velcoed the one closest to the steering wheel. It worked like a charm with only removing everything once.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
5th Gear

very nice. starting to get the feel of fred's car. the CF goes great with your interior colors. keep us updated with pix

Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by greg7223
I hear you. I took my time when I did mine. So I drove around for a while with out mine and it didn't really bother me because I saw the progress I was making and it was all going to be worth it once I was finished. I only took apart my interior once! Let me share with you the trick. It's called super velcro (the industrial stuff). Not that stuff you can by in the store. This is a special order and it's made by 3M.

It looks like you have taken the trim out before so you should know what I am talking about. By far the hardest one is the long dash piece. When I removed mine I broke the clip that is closest to the steering wheel. The only reason to remove the radio, hvac, center console, etc. is to get to the clip directly behind the hazards. So I left the glove box out until I was all finished and put all of those 4 clips back and super velcoed the one closest to the steering wheel. It worked like a charm with only removing everything once.
Yep, I've had mine out twice - the first time to redo the matte wood in silver, and the second time to do that over in piano black. I'm not happy with the beltline finish (the center panel around the stereo and HVAC came out nice and I'm happy with that), so I'll be doing it again, and I will definitely look into that velcro - VERY good info thank you for that. I assume it can be ordered online?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear

Im tempted to do this to my own stuff! Not my trim though I quite like the face lift 2.8 wood trim.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I assume it can be ordered online?
Yeah I'm sure. Just do a search. I got some from my old job.

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. It was a lot of work. If anyone wants this done to their car just let me know. I am willing to make more.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Awesome job.

Man, that looks so clean. I give a big thumbs up. I have CF on my 97 sport. And I love it. I think next though will be to cf the black panel surrounding my stereo and climate control area. But looks awesome.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

I'm at it again. Starting a new set.

Name:  IMG_3135-sm.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3138-sm.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  39.0 KB

Old 01-11-2009, 08:32 PM
4th Gear

what u doing this time?