B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

car won't starttt

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 PM
3rd Gear

well the car won't make it on their lift with it low. yes the motor has always turned over much faster than it is now even if I had problems starting it and it's worked fine in colder weather than this. what you said definitely is a possibility though but I'm not sure how probable it is. is there a way I can find out if it is just a connection problem to the starter without taking everything apart?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

You can always apply direct 12v power to the starter. If you do this and the starter then spins happily you know its a connection issue, if its not any happier it would be the starter. Now the car will not run but just applying 12v to the starter because you are not telling the ECU/ECM to apply spark and fuel, so this is just a test procedure. Your mechanic can not use go-jacks to raise the tires off the ground to get the lift arms under the car? Thats what I do on all the race cars. Or you can use a floor jack too.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not sure how the lift there works. how would I apply direct power to the starter?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

By using a jump box, your father or whoever who is a mechanic should know how to do it. You can just use your positive cable from your jumper cables. First make sure the battery is fully charged, But connect 1 end to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the TRIGGER wire on the starter. It's a smaller wire not the large power wire. It's hard to explain but thats about the best I can do for ya.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 PM
3rd Gear

I figured it was something like that but is there an easy way to get to the starter?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:38 AM
2nd Gear

Why can't cars just tell us whats wrong with them?

Attention esteemed owner! Errors detected in the Fourth Quadrant! Errors are as follows:
"My starters fucked up man, I dunno, it feels like a loose connection! Just tighten this bolt. See? To the left there. Thats the one."

If only... if only...

Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kayakman13
Why can't cars just tell us whats wrong with them?

Attention esteemed owner! Errors detected in the Fourth Quadrant! Errors are as follows:
"My starters fucked up man, I dunno, it feels like a loose connection! Just tighten this bolt. See? To the left there. Thats the one."

If only... if only...
Our cars will probably do it before our wives will!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear

Haha good one!

At least our cars dont do this:

Confused man "Whats wrong?"

Crazy woman "Nothing.... *******."

Old 01-31-2010, 07:02 PM
3rd Gear

bump, any other suggestions? I haven't tried anything new but if I can't figure anything out I plan on having it towed and hopefully repaired by wednesday.. if it turns out to be a big problem I probably won't keep the car

unrelated note, s4's are so fun to drive

Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by MrNotSoTechnical
Have you checked the distributor cap / rotor? My old eclipse wouldn't budge about a year ago, turned out to be a broken rotor. If that's your problem, it's an extremely easy (and cheap) fix.
I'm sorry for sounding like a dick, but this is an example of why I stopped checking back here. Nobody that a) owns an A4 and or b) has basic knowledge of engines built within the last decade would say such a thing. Peace!

okok I see the screen name now.. But still... Wow.