B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car wont start! Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:32 PM
cbg
Default Car wont start! Any help?

Some history: Over the past few weeks my car has been giving me quite a bit of trouble. Its a 1996 2.8 12v 5 spd. Maybe a month or so ago it shut off on me when I was on the highway. It started up fine after a minute and didn't give me any trouble for a little while. It has never done this since.

A couple of weeks after that it started to give me trouble when starting...ie it wouldn't. It would crank but not turn over. Usually after trying to start it and give it gas the engine would rev up and it would drive fine. This started happening about every 1 in 5 times I would start it. Sometimes it would fail to start at all.

Today I just got my car back, had to get a cv boot replaced so I also had them replace spark plugs and fuel filter (I had thought that one of these was the problem). It started up fine when leaving from the mechanic and fine when I left from work. I went to start it tonight and it would not, just would crank and not turn over.

Any thoughts? I need to get this taken care of asap but don't want to give the mechanic free reign to "diagnose" problems, as they are quite expensive unless I supply my own parts..

Old 01-30-2009, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Any check engine light? You are having an intermittent problem getting either fuel or spark for some reason, it could be a number of things.....if you have a CEL on, post the codes and someone can help.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 PM
cbg

No, no CEL....yes I know either spark or fuel, hence replacing the plugs and fuel filter, they are cheapest and easiest to fix...

Also, I did not listen for it this last time it did not start but in the past I am able to hear the fuel pump "whirr" sound when turning the key.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 PM
5th Gear

is it a constant whirr when you turn the key? it should just prime it for everytime you turn the key to the on position.

also you could have a code without triggering a CEL

Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
cbg

Originally Posted by chaos92287
is it a constant whirr when you turn the key? it should just prime it for everytime you turn the key to the on position.

also you could have a code without triggering a CEL
No don't believe it to be constant....yes I am now kicking myself for not having a vag com....I know autozone has code readers, not one real close to me though...

Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 PM
5th Gear

when it won't crank, can u push start it? it could be a battery/starter problem. do you have a multimeter? (measure ohms, amps, and volts)