B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car Won't Start :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Is there a preferred brand for the ignition switch?

URO Parts: $12.49
Beck/Arnley: $35.79
Standard Motor Products: $37.79
OEM: $30.72

Just wondering if there's a brand that might be more reliable than others. They all look like reman parts to me except for the OEM one. Although the fact that I can buy 3 of the cheaper one for the same price as the others is interesting.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

The same thing happend to me when i first got my car.. I tried to turn it over and nothing just lights and the ok on the display.. after a few fast switches on turning over it did, I had that problem a few times, seems like it magically went away cause it starts up fine now.. but good to see u found the root of the problem on yours.. as for mine I didn't change a thing it was coincidence or luck on my part.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

Our audis are like our ladies... Fun to ride but hard to diagnose with random issues thrown at you.. lol

Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Administrator

^^^ there's truth in that

Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

What was the result? My 1998 A4 is having the same issue, only I had to get mine towed.

I tried to swatch the ignition starter switch last year because it didn't spring back. I bought the Uro Parts switch, and it didn't fit, so I retured it. Well I ordered the Beck & Arnley switch and installed it, but my car still won't crank.

I don't know what the issue is.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

I never figured it out. Never replaced anything since it started running again. It's just been running flawlessly. It's a mystery...

Last edited by GoremanX; 09-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

oops, started doing it again today. Turning the key to start the engine accomplishes nothing. No amount of key jiggling or banging on the steering column fixes it. But it'll start right up when I push the car and pop the clutch. So I ordered a new ignition switch ($37) and relay ($8) from rockauto.com which will hopefully be here early next week. Hopefully that fixes the problem. Good thing these cars are relatively light and easy to push-start, but I've been making sure to park on hills anyways to make it easier.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

I got my car back from the shop today. My problem was an issue with the central locking module that was causing the intermittent no-crank issue. The car will still start sometimes with the key, but I had them install a push button switch to start the car. It was a lot cheaper than trying to get a new module. All my windows and locks still work, it wasn't the pump

Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonnyboiler
My problem was an issue with the central locking module that was causing the intermittent no-crank issue.
Please tell me more of this problem. How does the central locking module prevent the starter from cranking? I'm starting to think I've got the same problem.

When the car refused to start yesterday, I had JUST put the wrong key in the ignition by accident. I put my wife's 2012 Beetle key in there and tried to turn it, but obviously it didn't work. Then I realized my error and put my own key in there, and that's when the car refused to start.

This morning, I tried disconnecting the battery for a few seconds. When I plugged it back in, lo and behold, the car started right up with the key! Guess I shoulda tried that yesterday...

Originally Posted by jonnyboiler
...I had them install a push button switch to start the car. It was a lot cheaper than trying to get a new module.
This is also a solution I'm interested in. How does it work, exactly? Just put the key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and press the button to start the car?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 AM

exactly goreman

you can also wire in a power switch, drill out the gnition cylinder so your steering wheel turns, and instal a push button start. I did it on mine, its better this way

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start :(