B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 PM

dude i had a similar problem with my a4. wen i started my car and put it in parking or neutral it made a horible noise. i knew it wasent the alternator cuz i jus had it replace, and i knew it wazent the battery cuz i had that replaced 2. it was the starter switch i went to a mechanic and replaced it. it fixed the problem but if the problem still exists its ur starter.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ngucajmaster
dude i had a similar problem with my a4. wen i started my car and put it in parking or neutral it made a horible noise. i knew it wasent the alternator cuz i jus had it replace, and i knew it wazent the battery cuz i had that replaced 2. it was the starter switch i went to a mechanic and replaced it. it fixed the problem but if the problem still exists its ur starter.
Dude, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I fixed the issue already, turns up it was the battery, which was only a little over a year old but I guess it was a lemon. I took it to AutoParts, they checked it, deemed it bad, and gave me a new one for free as it was under warranty. My baby's back to normal now. :-D

Old 09-15-2008, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ngucajmaster
but if the problem still exists its ur starter.
no it isnt.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM

o well i tried .lol i was glad to help though.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

Anytime I purchase a new battery before I pay for it I tell them to put a load test on it. I've seen too many new parts that were bad right off the shelf. I used to sell parts in the 60s. Always had new Delco Remy batteries and fuel pumps coming back for warranty with in the first few days.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Redrum1
Anytime I purchase a new battery before I pay for it I tell them to put a load test on it. I've seen too many new parts that were bad right off the shelf. I used to sell parts in the 60s. Always had new Delco Remy batteries and fuel pumps coming back for warranty with in the first few days.
That's a good tip. Thank you, sir.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
A weak battery will cause the starter to tick as it fails in attempt to crank the flywheel. It's a classic symptom. If the car starts with a jump, it's most def the battery.
since you are THAT GOOD, what is it when you try to start the car and it just makes a single TICK? The engine doesnt even attempt to crank and the battery, starter and alternator have all been replaced.

yes i totally hijacked this thread for myself

Old 09-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Site Moderator

Good question. Have you verified that the starter, alt, and bat. are in fact good even though they were replaced? Is this your problem for real?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm make believe

Unfortunitly this really is true. The old battery had a dead cell and the alt tested very low the guy at Advanced said it couldnt recharge the battery. Just installed the alt today (used with 20k on it, or so im told) and stupidly i threw it in w/o having it tested. Im going to take the new battery to have it checked and recharged and try again tomarrow. If i still have issues, im going to blow the mother up!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Site Moderator

Have you tried to jump it? If the new battery you put in was charged it would fire up and then just drain if the alternator is bad. I take it you put in the alternator before the battery? If not, did you keep the negative terminal on the bat. disconnected while you were working with the alternator?

Quick Reply: Car won't start.