B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car takes longer to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 03:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Car takes longer to start

Ok well i replaced the fuel pump in my 2000 a4 quattro 1.8t and that solved the no starting problem but now alot of the time it wont start right away. If i havnt started it for longer than 15 to 20 minutes it will take 2 or 3 trys to start. It always started right away before the fuel pump went out and it runs fine after it starts. No codes...any ideas?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

I had issues with starting my car, it would just crank a few more extra times and then sound like it struggles to suck in the fuel but will always start. This problem first occurred after I had cleaned my injectors at a shop where they blast water or what ever liquid through them. I since had them replaced and didn't face the same issue. I would look into your injectors.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear

I'm having the exact same problem now. My pump was fine, but when I got my tune, I thought "Why not replace the fuel pump while I'm at it?"

I immediately had this same problem. I went to my Audi guy and he said that means that the diaphragm in the fuel pump is bad (in my case defective), which causes the fuel to drain back into the tank. The longer the car sits, the more the fuel drains back into it.

If I try to start the car with one turn of the key when the engine is cold, it will just turn and turn and never fire. If I bump the key, turn it off, then try to start it again, it fires right up, as if there's no problem. That's because I've effectively primed the fuel lines twice, which compensates for the loss of pressure. If we had mechanical fuel pumps, this wouldn't happen, but ours are electric.

When the car is hot, I never have any problems. She fires right up (because there's still fuel pressure in the lines).

The only solution (I've been told) is to replace the bad pump. I had just spent a bunch of money getting my new (defective) pump put in and even though the pump was under warrantee, the labor wasn't, so I've just been living with it for the past year or so.

If you find out something different, please let me know, but you can be pretty damn certain that's your problem.

G/L

Old 04-28-2016, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Ya that sounds like my problem...thanks for the info....ill probably just live with it too.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:42 AM
2nd Gear

Np. G/l

Old 05-06-2016, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Have you guys changed your fuel filters?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

I've changed mine twice (not because of this. I just like to keep fresh filters).

Old 11-07-2016, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

I'm having this same issue. What do you mean by "bump the key?"

Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
I'm having the exact same problem now. My pump was fine, but when I got my tune, I thought "Why not replace the fuel pump while I'm at it?"

I immediately had this same problem. I went to my Audi guy and he said that means that the diaphragm in the fuel pump is bad (in my case defective), which causes the fuel to drain back into the tank. The longer the car sits, the more the fuel drains back into it.

If I try to start the car with one turn of the key when the engine is cold, it will just turn and turn and never fire. If I bump the key, turn it off, then try to start it again, it fires right up, as if there's no problem. That's because I've effectively primed the fuel lines twice, which compensates for the loss of pressure. If we had mechanical fuel pumps, this wouldn't happen, but ours are electric.

When the car is hot, I never have any problems. She fires right up (because there's still fuel pressure in the lines).

The only solution (I've been told) is to replace the bad pump. I had just spent a bunch of money getting my new (defective) pump put in and even though the pump was under warrantee, the labor wasn't, so I've just been living with it for the past year or so.

If you find out something different, please let me know, but you can be pretty damn certain that's your problem.

G/L

Old 11-07-2016, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

I believe he turns the key to 'on', waits a second or two (for the fuel pump to pressurize the lines), then turns the key all the way off (to the point where you can pull it out), then turns it to 'on' again, waits a second, then finally turns it the last click to start the car.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:15 AM
2nd Gear

No, I mean actually turn the key to "Start" just long enough for the engine to turn over once or twice, then off, then start again. It works everytime.

Quick Reply: Car takes longer to start