B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car kills without acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Car kills without acceleration

I am a long time reader of this forum however this is my first cry for help. I know very little about cars, so I apologize if this sounds vague. I drive an Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L Automatic.

Recently I needed to jump my car. I knew my battery needed to be replaced for quite some time. The jump worked fine and I was able to move my car the short distance I needed to a different parking spot. The car then sat for two weeks while I was away. Naturally when I came back the car did not start. I attempted to jump the car again. It seemed to work, however when I removed my foot from the accelerator the car would start to kill. I replaced the battery but the same thing keeps happening. I revved the engine a little and held it for a short time thinking this may help, but again the car killed. There is a some exposed wires with corrosion on the cable that links to the battery cables (sorry, don't know what this is called but it's not the one directly attached to the battery itself). I was told it was most likely caused by a mouse gnawing on the cable. It is corroded and could be to blame but it has been there for some time and has never caused me problems. Plus it seems to me a current is getting into the car as the car starts fine and the voltage is normal (however again, I know nothing). Could there be something else to blame? I'm trying to asses if this is something major or minor and if I need to have it towed. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear

Do you have a vagcom? Sometimes you need to do a throttle body alignment after it's sat for a while without power. If you have an '00 or '01 you don't need vagcom, but if it's older you'll need it, google for the procedure.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem and a throttle body alignment using VAG-COM fixed it (the key-only alignment method didn't work).