B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car jurking on low RPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Car jurking on low RPMS

Ok so here’s a little background on my car.
I have 1998 Audi A4 1.8t
I bought it from a friend of mine and I knew it had problems so I though it would be a good project to work on.
At first the car had no *****, had to ride the clutch to get it going so I started taking it apart.
I realized the cam shaft gear latch was broken so therefore the timing was a little bit off but the car still ran. Well yea ok car runs like **** but it still runs he thought….. so that caused more problems of course. Since the timing was off the valves wouldn’t close on time and they were hitting the cylinder and eventually the ring on the piston broke and scratched the **** out of the cylinder and it was really clear when I checked the compression. (readings were 120, 45, 160, 160)
So once I took the head off and actually saw that it was scratched I bought a new engine with 160 000 km on in and put it in my car. At first everything seemed normal, no leaks, no check engine started no problem, so it looked good.
When I took it for a drive something seemed a bit off to me, so I tried to screw around with it and drive it differently. When the car is warm and RPM’s are around 2k or lower the car would jerk and loose power and sometimes even stall. Also when I start driving from a complete stop I almost have to ride the clutch so the car doesn’t stall.

So I’m wondering if anyone had similar problem or any suggestions on what could it be. I’m not that familiar with cars but I can read and follow instructions lol. I’ve done a lot with this car and put in a lot of money into it so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like possible misfiring. Check your coil packs and spark plugs.

Also, to check your clutch, put it in gear and then let the clutch out SLOWLY. If it jerks then dies, then your clutch is good. If you feel it die with a lot of play in the clutch pedal then your clutch is worn.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

Clutch is perfect it was done last year and when i took the engine out it was in mint condition.
today it got even worst.
I was driving on the HW in 5th gear, gas pedal to the floor and in a slight uphill the car wouldn't speed up at all I had to downshift to 4th so it had absolutely no power :S
someone told me that it could be fuel filter....
any suggestions?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Also spark plugs are brand new, changed them 4 months ago.