B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car died--need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Default Car died--need some advice

So about a week ago, I tried to start my car and it wouldn't start. Battery and everything is fine. Flat bedded it to a local VW dealer and they said cylinder head and timing belt need replaced. ~$4,000

What should I do? Should I just look to put a used engine in it? How much do they run?

Do you really think the head would need replaced since this didnt happen when the car was moving? It happened just when I wanted to start it up one day, and it wouldn't start

The car is a 1.8 tQ 2001 A4 with 150k miles.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

A lot of that cost is labor. Be cheaper to do it yourself.
As for the head, they may have found evidence it's warped due to overheating.
Timing belt may be from testing, or guess on mileage.

Timing belts can go at odd times in odd ways. But since you didn't give enough information as to exactly what happened when you turned the key (did it turn over, did the dash lights come on, did it try to fire, did it smell like gas, etc.), can't say whether it's the timing belt or something else.

Is it getting gas? Are the plugs fouled? Are you getting spark to the plugs?

You can google replacement engines and they cost different depending on what mileage you want on them , or check Checker Auto for a rebuilt.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:48 PM

A lot of that cost is labor. Be cheaper to do it yourself.
As for the head, they may have found evidence it's warped due to overheating.
Timing belt may be from testing, or guess on mileage. The timing belt and all that goes with it was actiually replaced 50k miles ago, so I'm kinda suprised it went that quickly

Timing belts can go at odd times in odd ways. But since you didn't give enough information as to exactly what happened when you turned the key (did it turn over, did the dash lights come on, did it try to fire, did it smell like gas, etc.), can't say whether it's the timing belt or something else. Yes it did turn over, the dash/radio all worked, and now that I recall, I think I did smell gas slightly

Is it getting gas? Are the plugs fouled? Are you getting spark to the plugs? Spark plugs should have been fine

You can google replacement engines and they cost different depending on what mileage you want on them , or check Checker Auto for a rebuilt.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear

$4k for that is pretty overpriced. $2500 maybe would be OK.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 PM
4th Gear

if ur timing was bad and u tried to crank it repeatedly, say bye bye to your valves

Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Yea... I know, I think I'm just going to put a used engine in it if i can find one.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 PM
4th Gear

well best of luck to you... if ur gonna get a used engine why not look for the one everyone wants? i have no idea what year it came out of bu i read somewhere that one of the 1.8t motors was better than all the others lol

Old 12-04-2009, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear

He should stick with the AWM for the VVTi.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:47 PM

So, you parked the car and timing belt broke when starting it? Or did it die while driving?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2fast4u66
So, you parked the car and timing belt broke when starting it? Or did it die while driving?
IT happened in the drive way when starting. Its a shame too because the timing belt job was done only 50k miles ago.

I found a local engine so I'm going to replace it. The car should be driving again in about a week.

Quick Reply: Car died--need some advice