B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car didnt start???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Default Car didnt start???

Ive got a 1998 A3 1.8T automatic.
Me and my wife went shopping today and the car was parked for like 30mins. When we returned to it , it didnt start. it was just turning over..everything under te hood looked normal so i left for 5mins in this time i was playing with the key,button on it. I tried starting the car again and it started. Do the Audi keys have a chip and could my one have become out of tune as to say, thats why ot wasnt starting?? Or is something wrong with the car??

Old 04-26-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Car didnt start???

Could have something to do with your alarm if you have one. Next time it happens try to arm and dis arm it again, then try to start it. I had a mercedees that was like this and I believe thats what I had to do.

Also could be fuel pump or fuel filter. When you turn the key to Acc, listen for the fuel pump to turn on. How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
3rd Gear

Almost certainly the coolant temperature sensor. I think you can get one at AutoZone for less than $30 and it takes about 5 minutes to swap.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

How would the temp sensor cause this? Not arguing, just curious.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: a4b5guy

How would the temp sensor cause this? Not arguing, just curious.
Do a search, it's a very common scenario. I'm not 100% on the science behind it, but I think the screwy sensor makes the engine think it's colder than it is so on warm starts, it floods the engine.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

Makes sense. I'll look into it.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

im gonna agree with senio. almost positive on the engine coolent temp sensor they are about 10 dollars at your local vw dealer no piont in paying extra money if you dont have to. and its really a simple fix.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 AM

Ok diagnosed it a bit and this is what i can tell you. The car died on me 3 times yesterday and all while approaching a red light/coming to a stop. once in the morning. And two times in the afternoon within 20mins. I can also say that the fuel pump definetly works and that the " injectros have no power in them when this happens " . The coils have power. The car does not hesitate or shake when its running or when it dies. Just feels like someone turned off the key. the car is at the garage and i will follow up tomorrow but have you guys got any suggestion. I dont think the coolant temp sensor would cause it to die when the car already started or am i wrong??

Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Babz

Ok diagnosed it a bit and this is what i can tell you. The car died on me 3 times yesterday and all while approaching a red light/coming to a stop. once in the morning. And two times in the afternoon within 20mins. I can also say that the fuel pump definetly works and that the " injectros have no power in them when this happens " . The coils have power. The car does not hesitate or shake when its running or when it dies. Just feels like someone turned off the key. the car is at the garage and i will follow up tomorrow but have you guys got any suggestion. I dont think the coolant temp sensor would cause it to die when the car already started or am i wrong??
The CTS can cause all kinds of weird issues, but probably not those mentioned above. It still could be bad though because your first issue is textbook failed CTS. In the future, you can save yourself some money and confusion by taking your car to AutoZone or Advance or wherever and having them scan your car for codes (free). That won't always pinpoint a failure exactly, but it narrows it down a lot.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 AM

Could the crank angle sensor cause this problem??

Quick Reply: Car didnt start???