B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Car decided to stop. Might be starter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Default Car decided to stop. Might be starter...

So on saturday i drove to a park with a classmate of mine to test a rocket we made for physics. After a long and succesful day, we walk back to my car to go back home. And what do you know, the car doesn't start. I put the switch in, depress the clutch and turn the key. Nothing. My lights turn on, windows roll up and down, etc, etc. It just won't start. There is no clicking or cranking. Got AAA to come out, tried a jump, nothing. So I believe it is the starter that is having a problem, based on the searches I've done.

My questions: Am I right it's the starter? If so, can someone tell me how to go about replacing it, I can't find any diy. How long would it take? I don't have a manual yet, as I have 2 cars to pay for (this and dad's car, on a students pay), so I can't read up on it. If the book does have it, can someone send me a copy of the pages that describe how to fix it?

Any help and additional info is greatly appreciated. I need to get this car running ASAP. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Default RE: Car decided to stop. Might be starter...

2 things I would check one is the clutch safety switch on the clutch pedal. second is the starter. have a friend turn the key from on to start with you near the starter to see if you hear anything from it. Then try hitting the starter with a hammer funny enoughand see if it starts. If it does then the starter is bad.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Default RE: Car decided to stop. Might be starter...

also could be a slight issue with your battery. you might not be holding enough charge to turn the car over anymore, however, you still have alittle power to run your accessories. more then likely the starter. also check to see if the ground wires are all securly attached.