B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

car all of a suden overheated

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:20 PM
1st Gear
Default car all of a suden overheated

Hello to all, i was driving to work this morning, adn i noticed when i jumped on the freeway, the oil tem starting reaching to the middle, and it never did that, then the tempeture starting going over the halfway mark, and the the water signal started blinking, so i pulled over at a gas station, i checked the water and the oil, evreything was good, so i let it could down and jumped back on again, and the tempeture raised again, i started taking the street, and i noticed at low speeds the car does not over heat as much, it is when i reach over 40 the temps go up, too it to a local shop, they changed the thermo stat twice, he said the car still overheat, the car has had the timming belt changed and the waterpump, about 10k miles ago, any sugestions? many thanks.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM

when's the last time you changed your oil? did you put in synthetic? how about your coolant? is this a 2.8 or a 1.8T? what year?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Site Moderator

What the hell year and engine? I don't know about the 2.8, but with the 1.8T it's easy to put the thermostat in backwards which wouldn't be good.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Default car info

sorry about that, the year is a 2001 audi a4 1.8, the car had a rebuilt engine new heads new timming belt new water pump, about 10k miles ago, thanks again.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Guru

Could be the thermostat was put in backwards like onepoint8 said

Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 PM
3rd Gear

if it was backwards wouldnt it have been doing this for the last 10k miles?

did you see coolant flowing in the tank when you looked? your first thermostat could have just failed and the place you took it to put it in backwards or something. or they didnt bleed it right and theres a big air pocket in there. is this a reliable shop or just someone you found in the phone book?

Old 11-14-2008, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

i have took my tt there as well, and they have done a good job, but when i first opened the hood, i noticed the coolent unit starting bubleing up when i opened it, and then the water started going down, ut i got the car back from the shop today, they tried 2 new thermostats, and it kept oin overheating, they said to take it t the audi dealer ship and let them diagnostic, the check engine light is on n ow, wich wasant when i took it in the shop, also, the oil signal came on b4 i took it to the shop it started blinking, but like isaid, all oil levels were good, so tommorow morning im going to the audi dealer for up 150 just for them to tell me what the probblem is, il keep you all updated, sorry for the misspells im just pissed.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 AM
3rd Gear

Sounds like it might be air-locked. Or they may have also used a crappy water pump which broke. Do you have flow to the tank? Pull the small hose to the overflow while the car is running.

You also might want to check out your ECT.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:09 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ezlnh8u
i got the car back from the shop today, they tried 2 new thermostats, and it kept oin overheating, they said to take it t the audi dealer ship and let them diagnostic, the check engine light is on n ow, wich wasant when i took it in the shop, also, the oil signal came on b4 i took it to the shop it started blinking, but like isaid, all oil levels were good,
either
A. they broke something and want the dealer to fix it. dont pay them.

or

B. your oil light came on flashing you said- that means you lost oil pressure...? usualy by the time that light comes on you may not even have 5 seconds to turn the car off before toasting something, so it may not be their fault if the CEL came on after that.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:15 AM
3rd Gear

Was it the low oil pressure light or the low oil level warning?

Quick Reply: car all of a suden overheated