B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

CAN YOU ADJUST A HYDRALIC CLUTCH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: CAN YOU ADJUST A HYDRALIC CLUTCH?

what? dude the pedal always catches high. first off hydralic clutches i dont beleive can be adjusted just bled as sed by some1. second off the clutch is not on its way out if it catches high... only on some cars, not ours. the way u can tell is if the clutch is slipping when engadged

Old 03-27-2008, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

Ok well my clutch is not slipping. I really dont know what i need to have done to my car. My boyfriend said that the clutch is going out. But i have herd that you can adjust them. You have to let them clutch way out to engage.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Slut

a4's are known for having a high grab point. You can bleed the system to have the clutch grab at a different spot, making sure thats its not so much so that it damages the disc.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Ok so could this mean that i might not have to spend all that money on a clutch.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Slut

my money is on your clutch being fine. I think you are just not used to it.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

I dont know about that. I am used to it. I have had my car for over 8 months. It has been getting gradually worse. You have to let it out further and further to engage to go anywhere.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:59 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: kanickle88

It has been getting gradually worse. You have to let it out further and further to engage to go anywhere.
Replace your clutch.

source4, I don't know where you're getting this info about our cars, when the clutch is going, not riding high. thats not true at all. our cars definitely have a high engagement point, but as the clutch is starting to go, the engagement point increases.

If I were you, kanickle, I would make sure I have money set aside to replace the clutch asap, but not buy a new clutch yet, until the car actually starts slipping. That way, if the others are right that your clutch is fine (which I very highly disagree with, with how you've described it).. then you won't have sent any money. My bet is your clutch will start slipping within a few months (depends on how much you drive it and how you drive it).

Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

Ok thank you very much. I just checked the fluid for the clutch and it all seems to be fine. I have the money to replace it. How long does that take to do at ashop?

Old 03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

Depends. My guess is two days. I had a shop do my clutch once and I wasn't happy, ever since then I've done all my clutch work. I just did the clutch on my jetta two weeks ago, took 4.5 hours. I haven't done one on an a4 yet, I hear it's an 9-11 hour job. So with most places having an 8 hour shift, lunch breaks and other customers.. My guess is 2 days at most place.

Call a couple of shops in your area, get the best price and a turn around time. You might have some good luck searching/asking for referrals in the regional forum if you want a good deal and/or quality work from an independent shop. Again, from what you've said, I'm nearly positive your clutch is going, but others disagree with me, so I wouldn't suggest spending any money until it starts slipping and if it does, have it replaced right away.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

THE regional forum??? OK... I have call around everyone is 990 of higher. The problem is that i am in a rural area. Not to many people want to even touch an audi around here. They call it a specialty car, and they will not even touch my car for 900 or less.

Quick Reply: CAN YOU ADJUST A HYDRALIC CLUTCH?