B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Can anyone gove me some pointers on removing the climate control?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Can anyone gove me some pointers on removing the climate control?

I've been following these very detailed instructions on removing and cleaning the climate control panel. Despite all the advice given in the instructions, I cannot for the life of me remove the HVAC unit. I only found two of the four clips holding it in place. Has anyone removed one of these before? I searched the forums before posting this, but everybody seems to have gotten as far as I did, stuck right after removing the radio. So, anyone got any pointers?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear

You're on the right page as far as removing it. It's been a long time since I did mine. I don't know what the hell that guy is talking about as I used rubbing alcohol to clean mine. Where he got the idea that rubbing alcohol would hurt plastic I got no idea. They do come out a bit rough from what I remember. you don't even need to fully remove it. just pull it out far enough to get the face plate off if you want. The metal springboards never even went back in on mine.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jiggleo
You're on the right page as far as removing it. It's been a long time since I did mine. I don't know what the hell that guy is talking about as I used rubbing alcohol to clean mine. Where he got the idea that rubbing alcohol would hurt plastic I got no idea. They do come out a bit rough from what I remember. you don't even need to fully remove it. just pull it out far enough to get the face plate off if you want. The metal springboards never even went back in on mine.
Problem is, I can't get it out at all, never mind partially haha.

As far as the alcohol goes, I'm pretty sure plastic and alcohol don't mix. My friend destroyed his PSP like that. There's a product called Goo Gone that several people have talked about.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
2nd Gear

It's been a while but I seriously don't remember it being too hard. There was some sort of retaining clips I think but they were just pressure sensitive. The only thing that was a pain for me was the radio because one of it's retaining clips was broken off in there in a way that jammed it. I will be taking mine apart again real shortly and will be getting back to you on that. I somehow screwed my interior sensors up where the heat cooks me out whenever it's on so I have got to get that fixed. In short I'm taking mine apart again in a matter of days and will PM you and probably even get detailed pics. Just needed a reason to get on it lol.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jiggleo
It's been a while but I seriously don't remember it being too hard. There was some sort of retaining clips I think but they were just pressure sensitive. The only thing that was a pain for me was the radio because one of it's retaining clips was broken off in there in a way that jammed it. I will be taking mine apart again real shortly and will be getting back to you on that. I somehow screwed my interior sensors up where the heat cooks me out whenever it's on so I have got to get that fixed. In short I'm taking mine apart again in a matter of days and will PM you and probably even get detailed pics. Just needed a reason to get on it lol.
glad to give you a reason haha. Thanks for the trouble, I appreciate it.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

bump bump

Old 03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
y^0
1st Gear

i know that it's going to be a pain, but have you tried reaching around the back and pushing the little metal clips down? i only had two on mine also, and once i got the first one down, the other one gave up and let me pull the thing out.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by y^0
i know that it's going to be a pain, but have you tried reaching around the back and pushing the little metal clips down? i only had two on mine also, and once i got the first one down, the other one gave up and let me pull the thing out.
Which clips are you talking about? I pressed the two on the top and it wouldn't come loose. I couldn't even find any in the back.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Site Moderator

Just reach behind the unit after the radio and ash tray has been removed and pop it out. Its probably stuck on the ash tray, try pushing it out and up towards the roof, they get stuck sometimes. Have you tried opening the ash tray yet?