B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Camshaft Sprocket Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Camshaft Sprocket Installation

I couldn't find any documentation covering this issue. I'm in the middle of a timing belt/cam seal job and I can't seem to get the cam sprockets back on properly. What seems to be happening is they don't get seated against the camshaft. I installed the timing belt with the sprockets in their condition and hand rotated the crank a few degrees. The sprockets are spinning freely on their shafts. Any idea as to how I should properly install the sprockets?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

I sugest gooing to your local autoparts store and invest in a haynes repair manual it will save you a ton of money in the long run

Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
1st Gear

I've got one... super vague. It pretty much says: 1.... 2. Install camshaft sprocket. 3....

Unless you've got a different version than mine that has more detailed information?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Ok what engine do you have and witch sprokets u need to change

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

Or go online at autozone alldata diy and for 15$ u get that ,and if haynes is good u should see that ,is awsome it tells you absolutly evrything about your car only with that u can rebuild your car from s pile of parts

Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

2001 A4 2.8 ATQ. I've got the book.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

Forget about the book get alldata from www.autozone.com

Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear

When I did the belt on my AHA it was as easy and tightening the sprocket bolt. Maybe there's a washer you're something you're missing? Do they just spin with no resistance at all?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

There are three four pieces in the system from outside in: 17mm bolt, thick circular washer, oval-ish bracket with two holes on each side, then the sprocket. It seems as if the bolt, washer, and bracket all fit on to the camshaft, but there is no contact with those components with the sprocket. The inner hole on the sprocket seems to be tapered, but is not keyed. I'm not sure how the camshaft and sprocket are supposed to engage without slipping. ECS Tuning shows the S4 2.7 sprocket as having a distinct key, but I can't find the ATQ sprocket on ECS. Interesting to note, though, my camshaft appears to be tapered and with a notch on the end to make the shaft non circular. I'm guessing this is supposed to be a key of some sort, but I can't seem to be able to fit any of the pieces in there.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 AM
2nd Gear

The cam isn't keyed, the sprocket's held in by the pressure of the bolt pressing both parts together. Do you have the cam locking tool? When I did mine I just held the cam with it and tightened down the bolt. If I remember correctly the oval bracket is attached directly to the cam and the sprocket fits over it, so keeping the bracket from moving kept the cam from spinning and allowed me to torque down the bolt.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Sprocket Installation