B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cam sensor or incorrect timing belt installation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem, if there is no spark at all it's the CPS.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

Well, it looks like this is going the legal route. I contacted the seller, informed him that the vehicle will not pass smog, due to the CEL, and he needs to either pay to have the car brought within spec to pass smog, or give me my money back and take the car as-is. He basically M-F'd me, and told me to sue him for the money, citing his GF's mom is a paralegal. Big whoop. So that's what I'm going to do.

Anyone have any experience with this? I own two small businesses, and have an attorney on retainer, but he only practices business law, and really couldn't advise me one way or another on what to do. My brother runs a big shop in another county, and he could do the repairs on the vehicle to bring it within spec, at my expense.

The guy started out as a real nice guy, but I think he knew what he was doing from the beginning. All of the research I have done, says that under CA state law, Vehicle Code section 24007 (b)(2), states that he must provide me with a valid smog certificate. He verbally told me he had it smogged within 90 days. After digging through the car, I located a receipt from August 8th of this year, which was a FAILED smog test.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

I finally got the car back yesterday and the CEL is gone, and she runs good. New issue arose, though. There is a slight slip in the transmission when I'm making a gradual (but hard) left turn. For example, making a left turn across a large intersection while trying to beat the yellow light.

I only notice it slip right between shifts. Almost like when the shop put the front end back on the car, they never topped off the tranny fluid after the cooler and lines drained from having the front end off..

Sound logical? I know Audi sells a special tool to get the plug out of the side of the tranny. Do I have to buy that? I've also heard it's just a Torx. And I just fill it until it's full, right?