B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cam seal job finished but the check engine light is flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Cam seal job finished but the check engine light is flashing.

Okay I got a 2.8 and I just finished changing the cam seals. Everything was aligned and top dead center on the cams and the crank pulley. Everything was put back in the way it came out or close to it. That by the way was very difficult aligning the cams and tring to get 16 rollers in lined because it never wanted to seem to fall perfectly in place but fell just enough to make you think you did it right or wrong.

After that brief description of how things went I went and started the car after the fluids where leveled off and it ran fine. Had a little smoke coming from the exhaust manifolds but that is because some gone on it when cleaning.

I don't have any leaks but every once in awhile my check engine light will start to flash at me and it has been on constantly before this due to emissions. It did it while I was on the road. I pulled over lifted the hood to see for any smoke didn't see anything got back in put it in drive and it shut off. Going down the drive way of my house it started doing it again and continued until I just shut the car off. I have a cable but haven't downloaded any software to use it to check for codes but does any one have an idea what it might be?

I think it might be the car correcting it's timing but I am not sure. Also the car seems to want to stall out at idle but that maybe cause I haven't driven it in over a week and it has been sitting in below freezing temps.