B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A/C recharge from empty

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default A/C recharge from empty

I looked through a load of threads but only found those that needed a small recharge, not full.

I while back I replaced my heater core which meant draining the entire A/C system. If I know the whole system is 24oz can I just buy 24oz worth of R134 and put it in there? I keep reading about having to vacuum the lines of air THEN put the refrigerant in which means $200+ at my shop instead of $30 for the cans of A/C. But of course I don't want to completely destroy my A/C system.

Thanks for any help!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:58 AM
2nd Gear

I just had mine done. It was still blowing cold, but I wanted to make sure it was prepared for the Florida summer (so I don't burn out the compressor).

You have to evacuate the entire system, create a vacuum (to check for leaks), then fill it with the proper amount of refrigerant and oil.

I paid $150, but it's one of those things that you have to bite the bullet on. I tried the cheap method on my Yukon (which was only a little low) and it cost me more than doing it right in the first place....then I still had to have it done correctly!

I feel your pain on the cost. My Dad was an A/C tech before he died, so I know how cheap and easy it is (if you know what you're doing and have the gauges/tools), but **** happens.

Just get it done right the first time. You won't regret it.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by elduderino200
If I know the whole system is 24oz can I just buy 24oz worth of R134 and put it in there? I keep reading about having to vacuum the lines of air THEN put the refrigerant in which means $200+ at my shop instead of $30 for the cans of A/C. But of course I don't want to completely destroy my A/C system.
Its not that the A/C system will be destroyed, but it just won't get cold. The refrigerant mix of R134 and air won't liquefy in the condenser, which is crucial to how its supposed to work. In addition, the water that the air includes can freeze in the expansion orifice, further restricting the flow. A/C systems include a "dryer" to capture water, and if the hoses have been left open, eventually the dryer will be saturated and that wont do its job either.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear

Ok sounds good thanks guys.

Something in the back of my mind new it needed to be vacuumed and done correctly but I was hoping it was just a wrong guess. You'd think it would be such an expensive fix in Seattle of all places but it turns out it is.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 AM
2nd Gear

What part of Seattle? I used to live in Bellingham. Oddly enough: That's where my Dad was an A/C tech too (after moving fro FL.).

I still have friends in Bothell and surrounding areas and my ex lives on Whidbey Island.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

I'm not sure about R-134a, but with R-12 if air gets into the AC system it can mix with the refrigerant and create a corrosive acid. That's why you have a drier in the AC system.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
What part of Seattle? I used to live in Bellingham. Oddly enough: That's where my Dad was an A/C tech too (after moving fro FL.).

I still have friends in Bothell and surrounding areas and my ex lives on Whidbey Island.
Right in the middle. I grew up in Ballard but moved to Eastlake after college.

Originally Posted by jeckel20003
I'm not sure about R-134a, but with R-12 if air gets into the AC system it can mix with the refrigerant and create a corrosive acid. That's why you have a drier in the AC system.
Yeah I've committed to doing it correctly which is frustrating because in this case I have no choice but to pay someone. Oh well, I can't do everything myself (which is probably a good thing because I tend to mess up a lot of stuff).

Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

From what I've heard, you can get all of the tools to vacuum and charge the ac system through Autozone's loan a tool program.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 AM
2nd Gear

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 06-13-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear

So I'll be honest, I watched video this video a while back when my system wasn't empty and it looked a little beyond my current expertise. Now since my system is completely empty, all it looks like I need is a set of gauges and a pump. With those two items plus a tank of R134, it's basically just plug in and wait while everything does its work.

Can someone whos done this confirm it's really this easy?

Quick Reply: A/C recharge from empty