B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A/C leaks - most likely cause?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear
Default A/C leaks - most likely cause?

The AC on my 1998 A4 1.8T quattro is not working.
Before I run up a substantial amount of "find the cause" inspection cost, what are the likely sources?
The A/C condensor core(mounted ahead of the radiator) has a smal dent. Could that be the leak? How can check if that's the one? When running the AC, would soap water bubble (method used to detect natural or LP gas leaks)?

Recommendations for other "inititial/basic" checks before running to the shops?

Thanks.

Volker

Old 07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A/C leaks - most likely cause?

I'm in the process of finding a leak in my A/C system too, I'll let you know once its found.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear

I notice from the photo that you have the "S4" grille on. The car came with the normal grille installed, but the owner gave me the "S4" grille (plastic), but said when he installed it, it didn't fit so well and would have neede "shimming".

Any experience with changing the grille from the factory to the "other" S4 grille?

Volker

Old 07-06-2008, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

The simplest way to find a leak is to have someone put dye in the system. They put the dye in, pressurize the system and then take a black light and look for where the fluorescent dye has leaked out. On mine, the line that runs from the compressor to the receiver/dryer was rubbing on the core support and wore a big hole in it. The line prices out at $350., I had mine welded. It's aluminum and any decent welder should be able to weld it for you once you get it off. Good luck

Like this-

Name:  DSC00531.jpg
Views: 4583
Size:  83.5 KB

Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: vtraudt

I notice from the photo that you have the "S4" grille on. The car came with the normal grille installed, but the owner gave me the "S4" grille (plastic), but said when he installed it, it didn't fit so well and would have neede "shimming".

Any experience with changing the grille from the factory to the "other" S4 grille?

Volker
It's notan S4 grille, it'sa Kamei sport grille. It fits pretty good, I didn't need to trim it up or anything. If you are talking about the bumper, yes that's an S4 bumper, and it also fits perfect.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

BTW I had a shop run the dye through my AC just like Manufan said he did, I just need to go back there and have them track down the leak.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear

Kamei insert: I will post a closeup to have you identify what it is. Will next try to remove the original and see for myself how it fits. Like the looks.

Volker

Old 07-06-2008, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear

my ac don't work because a rock went though one the holes on my rs4 grill and hit the condersor and poked a hole in it

Old 07-10-2008, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear

My grille is actually:

RS4 racing grill from LLTeck

Not sure if the same applies, but will try it on; maybe I can make it fit well.

Volker

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear

The leaks is coming from the condenser.

My local mechanic shop quoted $500 (220 condenser, 150 for 2 hours remove/install, 100 for 1 hour charging and material (Freon)).

Autozone has 2 condenser for 190 (Transpo) and 222 (Visteon).
Rock Auto from 120 to 270.
Ebay around 130 incl. shipping and tax.

1) With a factor of 2 between low and high price for the condenser: is the 100% upcharge worth it?
2) I have not found removal/installation instructions (Autozone doesn’t list, and I don’t have the book yet). Can someone post or send to vtraudt@comcast.net?

Between Ebay and DYI installation plus shop charging ($230) and mechanic ($500): should I go for the DYI? (mechanically very inclined, complete tools, no AC expert).

Thanks for suggestions and help/instructions.

Volker

Quick Reply: A/C leaks - most likely cause?