B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Buying my first Audi I have some questions on which one to get

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Default RE: Buying my first Audi I have some questions on which one to get

Oh yea! Welcome to the club, Call me when you want to upgrade your stereo. 941-923-4003 in Fl but if somewhere else, go to Tweeter and I'll get you the Audi Forums discount....LOL

Old 05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

On the sensors, you can unplug them and use electrical contact cleaner on the terminals and see if that helps. For the rear speed sensors, the plugs are under the rear seat cushions (the wires then run out through a grommeted hole and down to the rear wheel wells). For the front speed sensors, I imagine the plugs are under the car, although I haven't gone looking for them before. If it turns out that the problem is a rear speed sensor, make sure your wheel bearings are OK - when they start to fail (and they're known to fail on the A4), they heat the hub and ruin the speed sensors after awhile.

For VagCom, you can buy the interface cable on eBay for less than $20, and you can download the software free of charge from www.ross-tech.com - it's not the full-blown VagCom, but it's very useful all the same. For the real-deal Vag, you have to pay quite a bit, but it's comprehensive and can scan/reset virtually anything electronic in the car. For most of us, the shareware version is fine - the paid one is great, but you can probably get away without it unless you own a shop or buy a real turd of a car (which it sounds like you didn't do).

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to AF - make sure to get some pics up of your ride, and make a signature for your posts (go to your profile page and create it there - include year, model, drivetrain, transmission, and engine (like "96 A4 2.8qm 12v", where "qm" means "quattro manual") - it'll make it a lot easier for us to answer tech questions later on, without having to continually ask what car you have).

Old 05-18-2008, 02:37 PM

PICTURES!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

I'll have to do a rain check on pictures since its raining in New England today and it seems all week. I pulled both my rear speed sensors the drivers side looked fine I cleaned it with some electronics cleaner, but the passenger side broke on the way out. I tried hopping the two by connecting the broken one to the good one but that didn't work very well, worth a shot. I found four A4's at my local cheap parts yard, so I am going to try to snag a bunch of sensors and replace the rear ones until the ABS works again. The guy I purchaced it from did all four wheel bearings axels shocks struts springs rotors and breaks. I got a A/C recharge on Friday and the guy at the shop said the car is in awesome condition. Now I just need to fix the drivers seat so it goes front to back, The moonroof motor, it clicks but doesn't turn the motor to open the roof. And get the rear speed sensors working again. The guy who I got it from had a code reader and said the third sensor or passenger side rear was going out and should be replaced. Still love the car. The bonus is getting clear corners and euro tails, and picking up some 17 or 18's and making the car sick looking. The dark green looks great and the tinted windows are awesome. Love Audi!