B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:55 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by cruzer555
I realize Audis cost a fortune to repair in the shop, but when you do the work yourself all the parts I have seen my dad get are really quite reasonable... I mean as long as the engine doesn't explode or something...
I do the repairs myself aswell its not that. I bought my audi it was perfectly fine drove fine i considered it good and bought it. i have had it for two months. It has neededs all new brakes and rotors, a new clutch, two front cvs, new oil pan. Thats the stuff that has been replaced the stuff i can live with until i can buy the stuff are two new engine mounts, two new tranny mounts, new abs module, crusie module, new fuel tank lid and sender some other little small ****.

Things fail on Audis randomly and arent cheap and are time consuming, and once you have it fixed it seems like it brakes again. Its an awesome car and i love it and its runnign right now thank god but theres always something

Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DOC_DEPALMA
You let that timing belt go and it will explode . Happened to me Two days after I bought mine..
Wow... Due to yours and other sobering reminders of timing belt failures I think I'll have to factor in a new belt when thinking of buying it... Luckily my dad bought the timing belt tools instead of renting so I can do it myself...

Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SAudi
all the maintence things you just mentioned are the most common to go wrong, im at about 190k miles and for a few years after i bought the car it was tracked both autocross and the local racetracks ( read TRACKS, not STRIPS) and its holding up pretty well, timing belt should be done every 100k miles or so, so just make sure thats all good. otherwise for the price its pretty reasonable
Wow you even track the car! Nice! My dad tracks his 911 and I like the idea of doing the same someday...

Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Audisaurus
I do the repairs myself aswell its not that. I bought my audi it was perfectly fine drove fine i considered it good and bought it. i have had it for two months. It has neededs all new brakes and rotors, a new clutch, two front cvs, new oil pan. Thats the stuff that has been replaced the stuff i can live with until i can buy the stuff are two new engine mounts, two new tranny mounts, new abs module, crusie module, new fuel tank lid and sender some other little small ****.

Things fail on Audis randomly and arent cheap and are time consuming, and once you have it fixed it seems like it brakes again. Its an awesome car and i love it and its runnign right now thank god but theres always something
Why did it need rotors instead of just pads?? You must have let it go metal to metal? Oh and I would be grateful if the only thing that broke were brakes, they are soooo cheap and easy compared to everything else... As for the clutch that luckily has been replaced 60k miles ago, the CVs are pretty easy to do too, but man those engine and tranny mounts sound annoying as hell.....

Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM
2nd Gear

The rotors wouldnt pass inspection for some reason i have no idea it stopped perfectly fine when i drove it. I dont think the engine and tranny mounts will be that bad its getting new rs4 ones once they come in so i dont have to deal with it again. It also pays to have a good shop that loves to lose bills. But i bought it because they also did my chevy for free i thought it was because they liked me only to find out it was american and they write it off. The audi they get parts right from the dealer so they no longer get my car. But i didnt feel like ******* with two days and an engine pull to do my clutch so i sent it to them for a day. Just expect **** to brake because it will. They are so fun tho i am actually looking at a brand new one for my nexy car

Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

The rotors wouldnt pass inspection for some reason i have no idea it stopped perfectly fine when i drove it. I dont think the engine and tranny mounts will be that bad its getting new rs4 ones once they come in so i dont have to deal with it again. It also pays to have a good shop that loves to lose bills. But i bought it because they also did my chevy for free i thought it was because they liked me only to find out it was american and they write it off. The audi they get parts right from the dealer so they no longer get my car. But i didnt feel like ******* with two days and an engine pull to do my clutch so i sent it to them for a day. Just expect **** to brake because it will. They are so fun tho i am actually looking at a brand new one for my nexy car
Wow your considering getting a new one? Thats cool, but also look into a S4 with about 50k miles because those are reeeealy fun! My uncle has a B7 S4 its gotta be the coolest car!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear

must be 2010 or above i do say im done with old cars lol but with all the help you get here you wouldnt have a problem fixing it when it brakes.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

must be 2010 or above i do say im done with old cars lol but with all the help you get here you wouldnt have a problem fixing it when it brakes.
True... It is nice having a new one... Nothing like having no repairs to worry about for a few solid years...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM
2nd Gear

exactly did you decide on the car yet?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

exactly did you decide on the car yet?
Nope, I have been busy till now but I am hopefully going to tomorrow... The guy isn't in a rush luckily he still hasn't bought his new car and he will need like a week for the financing on it anyway...

The biggest things I have to think of now are:
-I like the car cause its immaculate but am I gonna suck it up and deal with the higher mileage repairs
-I won't have my license for about 55-60 days, I only have my permit, so is it bad having the car sitting for almost 2 months...

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy... An immaculate A4 but with 213k miles (as a first car :)