B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

buy it or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Default buy it or not

hey guys i found a really good deal on a white 97 A4 with the 2.8L 12v. it has the 5speed manual with quatro and leather heated seats. i think i am going to buy it but i have a question and i couldn't really find the answer to by searching. how much better would the 30v be over the 12v? i mean bone stock, im not going to mod it much. do you think i should by the 12v from down the street or look around more for a 30v? would the 30v be noticablly faster or just a titch?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:38 PM
4th Gear

12v = slow and sh!tty
30v = better than 12v with a lot more modds

if you have a 12v its mostly for looks.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 PM
3rd Gear

12v FTW!
But seriously, 30v would be better. 1.8t would be best. In most people's opinions. You did not give the most important information, what's the price, mileage, condition, history? Post with some more info and you'll get more responses.
The 30v does not have a lot more mods at all. There is a very limited amount of mods for both, just a more limited amount for the 12v. If you're into modding, get a 1.8t.
If you do decide to buy it, be expecting many warming welcomes from the 12v and proud crew.
Take your time.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Guru

PES offers a supercharger kit for the 30v.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 PM
3rd Gear

Indeed. And there is also a 12v supercharger somewhere out there. It's just not so easy to find any more. But if you're going to spend that much money on performance mods, the 1.8t would be faster.
jayjack, if you're actually going to get a B5 (96-01 A4), or any Audi, reading the newbie guide first on this site would be smart idea. It's a very good writeup with lots of useful information about these cars.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 AM
5th Gear

If I came across a nice white 2.8 with a manual I wouldn't think twice. That's just me, though.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM
3rd Gear

You said your not going to mod it much there are no REAL mods for a 2.8 except for the supercharger but it retails at 5k (you can get them for closer to 2300 used sometimes though) so the fact that you plan to mod at all tells me you need to get a 1.8t instead for some real mods.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 AM

Hey welcome to the forums! I have a 1.8T and my dad has a 30V v6 with a chip. I think that mine feels a lot faster, but his does actually have more HP. Here's a link to the newbie guide just in case you can't find it.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/newbie-guide-version-2-a-80968/

I suggest though - definitely check that all the windows roll up and down, make sure it shifts smoothly. Couldn't hurt to have it checked out by a mechanic though.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM

hey thanks for all the replies. the price is 4.5k and the mileage is 100k the history is all good and the condition is amazing, i mean almost new. the family of an elderly lady down the street won't let the lady drive anymore so they are selling it. the lady kept it great, oil changes on time all that good stuff. i think i am going to get it even if it doesn't have a lot of mods available. even if it isn't that fast it is still faster than my 95 camry

Old 11-14-2008, 12:53 PM

Audi repairs = 3x times the amount.
Toyota repairs = 1/2 if not less the amount lol.

Toyota's run forever. As much as everyone on here would love to see a new member driving an audi, you have to sit down and look at a lot of things. I sat down with my parents when I first bought my car and discussed my financial situation. I could throw down 10k on a car, and still have SOME money left over for repairs (which is inevitable on an older car such as mine or this one) You need to sit down with the family that is selling it, and discuss any problems wrong with it. Ask for receipts. Receipt's don't tend to lie lol. Discuss with them what has been changed, fixed, repaired, etc. Discuss with them what needs to be repaired, replaced, changed, fixed, etc. Then go back with your parents or who ever you are with (wife,gf,spouse,etc.) or if you're single and living alone, sit down and make a list of what needs to be fixed. Go online, look around, ask around, this forum is so full of information, I'm on here like 3x a day, and still can't keep up with all of the posts. Figure out how to fix things, or what it will cost to have it fixed, then take those prices and add it to the price of the car. The last thing you want to be doing is selling a 95 camry that may be rusted out a lil bit, but still drives like a champ, and getting an audi in excellent condition with a bad engine problem, or a #$@ed up tranny. Ya feels me?