B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

burning rubber

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 PM

Dude at speed shop told me to def keep lines to mbc as short as possible! I put a piece of rubber on a/c fan cage and ziptied that and the mbc there for minimum distance. I would guess it would take a while to get pressure up through that mile of hose thats why you were overboosting at startup.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:49 PM
4th Gear

that sounds logical. thanks then yes ill try and make my lines as short as possible and still be able to set my mbc, also when i went to autozone to get new vac hoses, i asked for 3 feet cuz i wanted to be able to get a hold of my mbc. guess that was a bit overkill :P 1 foot 6 inches on each side lol no wonder my car lags and jerks

Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 PM

Def it I would say. If you have a piece of bigger hose cut a piece off and slit it and put around one of the a/c fan cover cage pieces. You should have no prob gettin to it there cuz you have a cone and not the stock intake. I just have to use two fingers or take the two piece stock intake tube.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 PM
4th Gear

ok. ill post back tomorrow after i do it and see if i still get the smell and how my performance difference is. i have to get it done fast, my orientation for college is tomorrow. and im going to long island tuner meet, so i need my car's performance to be good if i want to keep up with my friends trans am, since im following him there.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Site Moderator

Interesting theory. People use in cabin mbc's and don't seem to have an issue. It's just air pressure. It's not pathway for useable boost like ic piping, so it shouldnt matter.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Interesting theory. People use in cabin mbc's and don't seem to have an issue. It's just air pressure. It's not pathway for useable boost like ic piping, so it shouldnt matter.
hmm is that what that ebay mbc i got is then, it said something like in car boost controller. it was 13$ but Josh said it was **** so i have it in my glove box making my car 4 ounces heavier

Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Site Moderator

Thats not the only kind of in cabin mbc ever made... Any mbc can be an in cabin mbc. All you need are longer hoses. Its just the included mounting hardware that lets them call it "in cabin."

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
4th Gear

ah.. thats not a bad idea tho for in cabin, i hate stopping poping my hood getting out and setting my mbc then getting back in and testing new setting

also another question for anyone else, who ever got a speedtuning chip, how long will i be without my ecu i need my car every day to get to school and work. so if im without it for a few days i might be able to work somethign with my parents, but if its over a week, then ill have to get a GIAC where i can drive to Queens and get it installed same day for 200$ more which i dont want to do

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 PM

Thought the in cabin ones had an electronic control that you run a wire to inside so you don't have to pop the hood to adjust? Anyways.... the pressure from your mbc is coming from your turbo. Until your turbo spools you wont have any pressure... The first time it spools it will fill the "in" side of the mbc and start filling the "out" tube through the tiny hole on the mbc. Before the tube gets filled with enough pressure to actually open the wastegate it will overboost. Maybe other makes of mbc's have larger orifices but the XS has a tiny one and would obviously not fill a 1/4" tube even close to instantly

Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 PM
3rd Gear

thats called an EBC (electronic boost controler) and they are like 5x more expensive then MBCs which is just a simple valve. technicly the longer the hose the longer pressure would take to travel thru it, the same way when you open the faucet on your house the water doesnt instantly come out of your garden hose. however the split second it takes probably doesnt make that much difference unless your using 10+ feet of tubing.

actualy if you use a ball and spring mbc on the stock turbo, running a longer line from the intake mani instead of the pressure source on the turbo will make for a very slightly smoother operation.

Quick Reply: burning rubber