B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

BT shopping list...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
3rd Gear

those crappy welded pipe manifolds found on ebay are garbage and will crack after a few days. however the cast log style manifolds that are replicas of the APR manis are pretty decent for the price, they are like $140 if i remember correctly. the next best one would be the SPA manifold, search ebay for "SPA Longitudinal Manifold" and it should be right there for about $450. they are very good quality but the turbo placement is a little strange.

w/m is always a good idea. it increases octane, cleans your engine, reduces temps, and allows you to advance timing and increase boost much more then if you didnt have it. you just have to tune for it in order to see its benefits. i think the snow stage2 w/m setup is going to be my next purchase

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Site Moderator

You should check this thread out first - https://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-55/gt28rs-answers-tomritt-9952/

1 gt28rs - Good
2 forge hybrid dv/bov - Use it as a dv only
3 turboxs mbc
4 A'pexi turbo timer - No need. All you need to do is not shut it off after running it hard.
5 the e-bay copy manifold - Do not go cheap on this. You will regret it after it continually cracks. If want an inexpensive one, try PAGparts. If you're going for more efficiency, look into SPA turbo.
6 God speed fmic (also e-bay)
7 Delphi 440cc injectors - good choice. Do not get the bosch ones.
8 neuspeed afpr - Eurospec
9 used 3" VR6 maf - This depends and the injectors depend entirely on the tuning. Talk to the chip programmer and find out what you need.
10 walbro 255lph fuel pump - Not necessary
11 K&N cone filter
12 Borla 3" muffler (i've got a friend who can pipe it for me)
13 e-bay test pipe
- Same as the manifold. If you go cheap on this, it will continually crack.
14 gauges - The only one you need is boost and fuel pressure. The fuel pressure gauge should be under the hood because you'll be adjusting the fuel pressure regulator

You're also going to need oil and coolant lines.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by ghost6303
those crappy welded pipe manifolds found on ebay are garbage and will crack after a few days. however the cast log style manifolds that are replicas of the APR manis are pretty decent for the price, they are like $140 if i remember correctly. the next best one would be the SPA manifold, search ebay for "SPA Longitudinal Manifold" and it should be right there for about $450. they are very good quality but the turbo placement is a little strange.
I should really read all the posts before mine before I throw my opinion out.

The SPA turbo placement gives more room between the turbo and radiator support. So you're not scratching your head trying to figure out how to route the piping that won't fit. In my opinion, the SPA manifold is currently the best option. However, there are two different ones. One with a T3 and one with a T25 outlet. The T3 has an external wastegate flange. The T25 is designed for a turbo with an internal wastegate.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jc61990
i didnt see a chip on that list, you should add one
Why would he spend $500 to chip it and then do a custom tune for another $900? and if you're confused between the 2: a chip is a premapped flash. A custom tune is programmed into the software after determining the needs of your new set up.

To the OP. I'm sure you want to track the car once in a while or at least do some aggressive driving. You'll need to upgrade the brakes and suspension. If you don't want to go all out on CO's at least get springs to lower the ride and make it more firm. Rear sway bar also helps. What clutch do you have. Minimum should be a stage 3. None of us is made of money, but its essential that you don't go cheap on a BT install. Some upgrades will totally screw up your engine, tranny or turbo and then be a bigger expense that going right the first time. No one said BT upgrades we're cheap so you need the $$$ and patience. Like baconbait said, the SPA manifold won't be a waste of money. The T25 should meet the 28's needs. And some of those upgrades you mentioned are more along the lines of creature comforts but nice to have. And you're keeping it under 300whp I'm sure so the Wahlbro pump is unnecessary. Audi's fuel line meets your demands.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by BaconBait
You should check this thread out first - https://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9952

1 gt28rs - Good
2 forge hybrid dv/bov - Use it as a dv only
3 turboxs mbc
4 A'pexi turbo timer - No need. All you need to do is not shut it off after running it hard.
5 the e-bay copy manifold - Do not go cheap on this. You will regret it after it continually cracks. If want an inexpensive one, try PAGparts. If you're going for more efficiency, look into SPA turbo.
6 God speed fmic (also e-bay)
7 Delphi 440cc injectors - good choice. Do not get the bosch ones.
8 neuspeed afpr - Eurospec
9 used 3" VR6 maf - This depends and the injectors depend entirely on the tuning. Talk to the chip programmer and find out what you need.
10 walbro 255lph fuel pump - Not necessary
11 K&N cone filter
12 Borla 3" muffler (i've got a friend who can pipe it for me)
13 e-bay test pipe
- Same as the manifold. If you go cheap on this, it will continually crack.
14 gauges - The only one you need is boost and fuel pressure. The fuel pressure gauge should be under the hood because you'll be adjusting the fuel pressure regulator

You're also going to need oil and coolant lines.
with the injectors, it all depends on the tune you want. If your getting a gt28rs i would suggest a unitronic 550cc or 630 cc injectors. Delphi is a awesome brand to go with though!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the imput. and especially for that link! i've put it in my favorates for future use. And i wasn't going to get the welded manifold but the cast one. But i'll give those others a looking into. I'm open to suggestions so go ahead and bust my chopps a little lol i only know one thing.. that is that i don't know anything.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Administrator

It's not a bad idea. I'd amend one item on your original list though - without a wideband O2 sensor, the A/F meter really isn't going to give you all that much useful info. It'll look pretty with its strobing, swinging light pattern, but that's about it. If you want a gauge that will give you more useful info, particularly in the tuning stages, get an EGT meter and plumb it in as close to the manifold collector as you can - at the top of the downpipe is a decent spot. Seeing real-time exhaust gas temps can provide a wealth of information, not only on what's going on at the present moment in your engine, but you can also see the effects that changing parts or operating parameters will have (ie, bump your timing and see what happens - do the EGTs rise? Too much? OK amounts? etc). The silly A/F meters that you just tap onto your O2 sensor to drive aren't really going to help you in any quantifiable way. Get the EGT gauge and have a better window into your cylinders. Also, seeing as how Audi saw fit to give us an oil temp gauge but only a pressure warning light, I'd add an oil pressure gauge as well - that's the pulse of your engine. Don't leave it to an "oops, ****, too late - you're out of oil" warning lamp.

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 09-04-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Site Moderator

Cast manifolds with poor quality will crack. ATP had issues with their manifolds for a couple years. They also tried to compensate by making the casting thicker, which made it damn near impossible to tighten the nuts. The PAGparts manifold is essentially the same design as the ATP manifold, but I've never heard of one cracking and I have only heard good things about ease of install.

Do yourself a favor and get a quality manifold off the bat. It will save a lot of headache.

You should also take a look around the classifieds sections other forums. There's usually one or two people selling entire turbo setups.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 AM
4th Gear

If you need help putting togther a setup or pricing all of the parts out let me know. We can pretty much get any setup, including manifolds from SPA, ATP and Full-race. This means we can even offer GT28rs/71 setups with either a T25 or T3 flange, this makes it very easy to upgrade to a GT30r or GT35r later down the road without having to buy a new manifold. We offer parts at discounted prices.

A great setup would be a Full-race manifold with a T3 flanged GT28rs or 71r.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the help! I'll need help that's for sure i know that. And i'll make srue that i do get an oil presure guage along with an EGT this is a rough outline of what i need, in no way is this a final list of everything i'll need.

Quick Reply: BT shopping list...