B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

BT California Guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: BT California Guys

Auditech79 was telling me about how california has just started a program with millions of dollars to pull illegally modded cars off the street. They then auction them off and keep the money. So even if I did pass smog and then the cop saw all the turbo upgrade stuff then i could lose my car on the spot and be crap outa luck. But if I kept it stealth like Jeff did then I could be good if I had a hook up for passing smog.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4

I think FL recently abandoned its inspections (FL guys can correct me here). Wish NY would, but there's no way that'll happen - NYC has way too many cars that mean a steady stream of money for the state.
yup, we haven't had emissions for a while. my car is definitely illegal right now, and i can run no exhaust all day if i wanted

but i would take emissions any day of the week if FL weed laws were anything close to Cali's[8D]

Old 04-16-2008, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

Haha, good ole' Cali weed laws.
Officer- "Dump that on the ground and grind it into the dirt"
Kid- "Ok"
Officer- "Have a good day"

But as far as the smog goes, the shop that I work at was one of the most strict. If any of the vent hoses were heater hoses, no go, if the intake wasn't stock and didn't have a carb sticker, no go. Many other things too. But it is nice knowing that my county doesn't require any sort of smog if you live here. One of the 2 counties in the lovely state.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

When I go to miami i smoke in my yard without a care in the world. Plus, I remember once I got pulled over on sw142nd ave and 72nd st. I just came back from Walmart from buying bullets for my piece. Got stopped for speeding and no seat belt. Pistol was in my glove box, my bullets spilled out of the box all over my back seat. Cop didnt ask me a thing about the bullets.

Plus, cops in miami dont walk around. They're usually in their car with their A/C on so unless someone calls the cops on someone smoking weed then I think your ok.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:59 PM
5th Gear

miami is totally different from the rest of FL. they're more worried about not getting shot than a stupid bag of weed. they go after the thousands of lbs in the harbor. but the rest of FL sucks *****. especially Boca, no serious crimes, so all they do is bust people for speeding and pot. i got caught with .1 gram (some keef) and got charged the same as if i was carrying 27.9 grams. nearly 2 grand later my record is squeaky clean, but it was gay. and all my friends have had to go through the same bullsh!t. and now they wana make the laws more strict. a seed could send you to jail. who cares about polluting the environment, we need to crack down on weed[&:] FL is assbackwards

Old 04-16-2008, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

yup, we haven't had emissions for a while. my car is definitely illegal right now, and i can run no exhaust all day if i wanted

but i would take emissions any day of the week if FL weed laws were anything close to Cali's[8D]

[/quote]

haha you want really lax weed laws come up to alaska there is like a grey area between the state and federal laws that you can either grow or posses weed not to sure on it my self but yea oh and i can get around emissions since I'm in Idaho for school just give the state proof that vehicle isn't in alaska and they send me my tags. And chaos i've seen pictures and videos of your exhaust when it was on Richard's pelican blue A4 and damn thats sweet sounding, for sure the route I'm going

Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

CA seems to now just destroy them

its for street racing, not being modified, but i wouldn't put it past them

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955
that blue one on the bottom is in one of my car magizines, he is a pretty well known person in my mag. i will look it up tonight.

edit: they also didn't say he was to low to the ground, less then 18" from ground to bumper ( which i didn't know exsisted), his muffler was to big( i think they are making excuses to take his car), and there was something else the magizine said but i can't remember off the top of my head

Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

is this visual inspection some guy looking under your hood? do they know what the stock turbo looks like?

here's a t3t4 that looks almost stock (Jeff's old a4)

Its not so much the turbos the smog techs look at, its the stock equipment. Like if you have a big *** blue hose going into the turbo and a front mount intercooler that has Greddy written all over it they know its not stock. Plus they see hundreds of 1.8T engine so they have a good handle on what the engine should look like. Even if you got a T3/T4 through emmisions with welding on a cat your major problem is the CHP. (california highway patrol)

These guys are very well trained on what the engine bay is supposed to look like. My buddy is a CHP in the bay area, he used to be a master audi tech as well, so i guarantee you he knows what a garrett looks like. The state actually mods cars using tax dollars and tests them on the CHP's to see if they can spot the illegal items. Like an intake on a honda, or a WRX with a garrett turbo upgrade.
Depending on how severe the engine is modified it is up to them if they want to impound your vehicle.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Drum Role Please................. Due to much disatisfaction ............. the winner is 2871r Eliminator!! Didnt want to, but the car is my DD and I need more power. It can still be a 12 second car. I can get away with the ATP high flow manifold right?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:34 PM
5th Gear

holy crap california sucks

freestyleski- yeah any log style manifold should be fine, it's not all that much different, just bigger runners i think.

and yeah i got a friend up in Alaska, you can carry 3 ounces legally and nobody gives a ****. but alaska sucks

Quick Reply: BT California Guys