B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

broken fan and coolant everywhere!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Default broken fan and coolant everywhere!!!!!!

Well last night i get home and the car seems to be running fine when i park it. So this morning i get up to go grab some food and the light comes on for the coolant...

So I assume that i'm low on coolant or something, so I pop the hood and upon closer inspection i notice that my radiator fan is totally busted and i see some coolant leaking. Has anyone had this happnen? i didn't get a chance to get a closer look but i'm hoping that it only punctured one of the hoses.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear

never heard of it happening. you might want to inspect your aux. belts and boost hoses in that area. hope you didn't puncture the rad.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:45 PM
4th Gear

is that a ducatti? lol

Old 01-01-2010, 10:16 PM

believe it or not this is actually the 2nd time the rad. fan exploded. It let go on the highway like a year ago and i though i blew a rod through the block or something.

Mr. Phil - ya its a '01 748s

Old 01-02-2010, 01:23 PM

Ok so i took a closer look this morning and as I feared one of the blades must've punctured the radiator because there is a nice little gash and you can see it drip out when the radiator hose is squeezed.

Besides paying the dealer a ton of money, has anyone ever plugged a small hole in a radiator to hold me over until spring? I am not working on this thing in the snow soaking wet and freezing.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:37 PM
4th Gear

there are radiator specialty shops that do rad repair... try the yellow pages in the phone book and calla few places... jUST LET them KNOW whats up and see what they say... but whatever u do DO NOT USE STOP LEAK!!

OOH... and nice bike

Old 01-02-2010, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

I can replace a rad in about an hour. find a buddy with a garage and take it over for an evening to replace it.
and yes, I agree with phil, plz don't use that stop leak ****......I used silicon the time I had a rock go threw my rad. but i ran mine like that for a week, not a season.
why is your fan exploding on you? is it hitting things? is it warped. buy a metal one, that why it will never explode on you.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

yeah i agree with teeter and Mr. phil, avoid teh stop leak crap and just change it, if you dont wanna wait for one from ebay, there like $ 60 for a new, go get a used one at a junky. and the install is very easy, remove your bumper slightly out, unbolt teh consenser, take off the 2 small stop plugs on top of your rad support, tilt back a little and its out....nothing else seeds to be removed...i've done it twice now

Old 01-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by kevace1
yeah i agree with teeter and Mr. phil, avoid teh stop leak crap and just change it, if you dont wanna wait for one from ebay, there like $ 60 for a new, go get a used one at a junky. and the install is very easy, remove your bumper slightly out, unbolt teh consenser, take off the 2 small stop plugs on top of your rad support, tilt back a little and its out....nothing else seeds to be removed...i've done it twice now
Ya its probably looking that way because the dealer is gonna want big money and If its really that easy i'll prob end up doing it

Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 PM

Well i figured i'd post this up. Ordered a radiator from ebay for 66 bucks shipped and was surprised how well the quality was out of the box and managed to get it in and out in about 3-4 hours with breaks to go inside and warm up lol

Quick Reply: broken fan and coolant everywhere!!!!!!