B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

broken coil pack on 2001.5, 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 PM
1st Gear
Default broken coil pack on 2001.5, 1.8t

Lots of misfires on cylinder 4.

Wasnt sure which way the plugs ran, so I pulled the 2 ends - 1 and 4.
One of them came out OK, the other one seperated as I pulled it out!!!

1/2 of it is still in the engine!!

Any thoughts on how to remove the rest of it?

I'm thinking some sort of very long nose needle head pliers - but I'm worried about scrapping the wall. Any thoughts would be really appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Administrator

You talking about the coilpack coming apart? Just grab it with pliers - nothing is going to be hurt. Nothing happens in that channel - it's just an access to the plugs.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 AM
2nd Gear

Yo Imthedevil, whatcha doin up this early? irene scare ya so much you can't sleep in?

Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Administrator

I shouldn't be up. I woke up at 5:45 Friday morning and didn't sleep again until after midnight last night. Worked both days, did a suspension removal and coilover install on an S4, and a control arm job on a 30v. Went 42 hours with no sleep. So as much as I'd love to still be in bed, it's not gonna happen. Family dictates otherwise.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I never actually said 'coilpack'!
You're not in the hurricane path are you? I thought you were in western ny someplace. 42 hours no sleep? I think 35 hours is the most that I ever did.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Nope I'm in Binghamton, about 3 hrs NW of NYC. We got rain and some wind but that's it. Nothing really notable. We were luckier than a lot of others.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a source of good coilpacks? I seem to have one of the last 2001's 1.8T.

I've read that coilpack rev R is the most current for our cars - but I've also seen D, E, H, and J touted!

Is ESC Tuning as good as anyone?

genuinevwaudiparts.com only sells coilpacks for the 2.7 engine (and their search is rather obtuse unless you already know the part numbers).

Devil - glad you are OK.

Last edited by hauptjr; 08-30-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

There is a recall on the coilpacks for 01. go to the dealer and get them all replaced. just got mine done today and running much better.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Ok - bought a set of long needle nose pliers - double action - and pulled out the bottom part of the coilpack. The metal came out fine. But it left the rubber filler in the valve and fitted around the plug that I couldnt get my sockets around the plug.

20 minutes later, I've got the rubber out. but there are little pieces of rubber in the hole, so I'm not about pull the plug until I can vacuum the little pieces of rubber out.

Test drive - Felt good with some hard driving. But when I pulled off an turned around I started to get misfires - for about 60 sec. I cut down to 20 mph and was pulling off the road and the misfires went away. drove a bit more and it is behaving fine.

Came home and ran vagcom. its still cylinder 4 (oh, the new coilpack is on cylinder 1, and the coilpack from cylinder 1 is now on cylinder 4 - so I didnt get a bad coilpack).

So - I guess the next step is to vacuum out the hole, and replace the plugs. (might as well do all 4).

thoughts and advice?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

So, I vacuumed out the rubber, tried to remove the plug. Took a closer look and there was still rubber down there! Amazing thing - sunlight lets you see more! Once I got the remainder of the insulation, I pulled the plug. The plug looked good and was gapped correctly - a bit gray but nothing like charcoal.

Replaced the plug anyway. Car was great for 4 trips, including a 50 mile run.

Get in the car, and really really bad shaking and misfires. Figures. 50 miles from home and no computer. after a few restarts (to no avail), and drive slowly (under 20 mph like the owners manual says) and after a few miles, the shaking all of sudden stopped and everything was fine! I was only 2 miles from my destination. Upon restart, the same shaking happened again - for about 5 minutes of low speed driving, and then the car suddenly starts working fine. Had to stop one more time. Same thing - bad shaking and then it goes away and the car runs perfectly.

Finally - I'm home, the computer shows misfires on cylinder 3. (not 1, where the new coilpack is, not 4 which had been having problems).

One side note, there was rain and high humidity, and this car has had occassional problems with the misfires in periods of high humidity.

Thoughts?

I'm going to replace the rest of the plugs and coilpacks - just to keep everything syncronized (i bought 4 of everything - but I kept getting interupted and made a honey-do run with the new coil pack and plug. Since everything ran great after the first run, I continued on with the rest of the weekend list. It wasnt until night when I'm 50 miles from home that the problem cropped up again!

Quick Reply: broken coil pack on 2001.5, 1.8t