B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Broke down - Anybody in the Nashville TN area have a VAG COM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Broke down - Anybody in the Nashville TN area have a VAG COM?

My car broke down on the way home today. It was going along just fine until I was going around 40-50mph and it felt like (in between gears) that it lurched pretty hard...then I lost power. The engine kept running although it sputtered very slightly, but I couldn't go anywhere...pressing the accelerator didn't even rev the engine. I pulled over and shifted into N, and reved it once or twice...then I smelled something strange that I hadn't smelled before. It went away after about 2 minutes after I turned the car off.

I didn't see any fluids on the ground, and no smoke. I started it back up and thought everything was ok...but followed that with "oh ****, better limp this thing home". Well, I made it another 5 miles or so, and I began to speed up to make it up this long hill on the interstate. As soon as I gave it more gas, I felt that bump again, although it wasn't as bad as the first time, and I lost power. I pulled over again and it still was running. I turned it off and looked underneath again...no fluid on the ground. I decided to let it set for a few minutes...a neighbor saw me and pulled over. By the time we started troubleshooting, about 10 minutes had passed. I started it up again and it ran really rough...wanted to die a couple of times. It was all I could do to get it moved over further off the shoulder of the interstate.

I have no fluid, no smoke and no CEL. I was hoping someone in the Nashville, TN area had a VAG-COM.

Or better yet...can anybody make any suggestions as to what the heck happened??

Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Replaced the MAF sensor tonight...it's running well again.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Glad the problem is fixed!