B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

break work....got issues...help please..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation break work....got NEW issues...help please..

So outta all the DIY instructions posted out there...nobody mentioned that the hardest part of the whole replacement was finding a friggn' 7mm allen wrench!!!

Anyway...finally got everything off...got the caliper supported up on a block. I'm trying to push the piston back with a spreader and the damn thing won't move!!

I opening the break fluid container cap to help release pressure, but nada. This thing isn't moving.

What do I have to do to push this thing back in place???

Thanks

Last edited by wryfly; 02-13-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

I know that on the calipers on the rear of my A4 you have to screw them back in, they don't just squeeze back like the fronts. Took me like a half an hour to figure it out the first time I did my rears.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

ahhh...I'll try that

BTW....these are the fronts. Doens't look like it wants to twist. The rubber boot that covered it doesnt' look like it wants to go that way.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

Yeah the fronts shouldn't need to be screwed/twisted back in, they should just compress.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Theyll compress with enough force. I use a big c-clamp and it works every time.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

I was finally able to compress it. I didn't have a big C clamp so I ended up using a peice from my chop saw. Basically acts like a spreader. I could not get enough for by hand so ended up getting a large set of plyers which gave me a bit more leverage....then had to hit the edge of the piston between turns of the spreader.

Finally got it in and the pads fit back nicely. Got to the other side and the pad wear wasn't even close to being the same. Still about 3/4 of the pad. I did pull them to put the new ones in, but having the same issues with this caliper as well. Needs to move about an 1/8" and it won't budge.

Can I spray some penetrating oil around it and let it sit? It started to snow on me pretty good so i wrapped it up for tomorrow.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Yup that works fine.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

...I was just bout to get back to it.

If i compress on the break pedal will it push out the caliper piston? Maybe just enough to break the seal to be able to push it back in .....all the way.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

So i've got both wheels done....but they went on SOOOOO tight! I had to hammer the back of the caliper to set them in place. Took it down the road and it feels like driving with the parking break on. Got back to the house and they were smoking like mad

What gives??

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Did you replace the rotors, if so did you clean the protective coating off of them? Did you use brake cleaner and clean the surface of new/used rotors? Something is probably sticking and causing the brakes to heat up. From experience though, with new pads and or rotors, you will have some smoking until they break in (couple miles of driving). However since you explained it was hard to compress the calipers and had to hit them back on, my bet is the guide pins and or piston is getting stuck. Time to pull it back apart and clean or replace sticking parts, give her a good cleaning with brake parts cleaner, and lube all moving parts back up and go for a drive

Quick Reply: break work....got issues...help please..