B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Brakes.. this is way too expensive.. right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Brakes.. this is way too expensive.. right?

Hey guys so I took my car into a Midas the other day (really needed brake work and I don't know any good Audi mechanics around here). They told me that the brake rotors were barely too thin to resurface and that I would need 2 new front rotors. They quoted me $50 for the brake pads, $200 each for the rotors, which came to a total of $528 for just the front brake pads, rotors, and labor. This seems pretty ridiculous right? Or am I being ridiculous for hoping that something on this car was somewhat affordable to fix?

Anyway I'm just looking for your guys input. I really don't have all the money I would like to invest in this car any more and I am thinking of selling it soon. I would like to get out of the car as cheap as possible, but with a Left upper CA, a right trialling CA, and a rear strut gone bad I don't think thats even possible. What are you guys opinions? Also how hard is this work to do myself? I haven't worked on cars a whole lot but I'm pretty confident that I can learn.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Brakes are a def. DIY and while your at it doing the CA wont be that hard since you are taking the brakes off ne ways. As for a strut that requires a little more skill/tools but is doable if confident with your abilities.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear

I've haven't done brake work yet, however I can tell you the rear struts are extremely easy to remove.

Go for it.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

you can get cross drilled and slotted rotors off ecs for like 150 a PAIR. oems are even cheaper

Old 12-19-2010, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear

Do NOT NOT NOT NOT get drilled rotors. Slotted is okay, but not necessary.

If you want good, go to Tire Rack and get ATE PremiumOne slotted rotors. $67/ea + s/h. ATE rotors are excellent even for track use.

If you want ~okay and cheaper, go to Rock Auto and get Raybestos Advanced Technology.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear

I just realized you're from MA dragon... where abouts?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 PM
4th Gear

Front Brake DIY by far is the second easiest DIY next to an oil change. A few basic tools, and some common sense an patience and you'll be on your way.

Control arms aren't too bad either, and they are one of the very few things that are Audi Forums Member approved to buy on ebay, so you can get a complete kit with the tie rod ends for just over 200 bucks. If you go cheap on the brakes too (like Autozone) you can fix almost everything for about 350...

Good luck!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

Awesome thanks for the advice guys. I'm hoping I can find a friend to let me work in his garage over my break. What brake rotors would you guys recommend? Also, the repair guy mentioned there could be 2 different sizes of the front brakes anyone know what my best bet might be? I have a 2000 a4 1.8t quattro

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...odClar=Quattro

These what you were talking about dragonrage?

Also.. Any good places online to look for new control arm parts? Thanks guys.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:41 PM
4th Gear

ebay for the CA's. I can't remember the brand for the life of me right now, and I can't go on ebay to find out on my work computer...

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear

FCPGroton (FCP=Foreign Car Parts) is what you mean and I run some of their CAs with no problem so far.

Yes, those are the right ones, Zer.

Nick: Bellingham

Quick Reply: Brakes.. this is way too expensive.. right?