B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Brakes Upgrades... Best Options < $700?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Brakes Upgrades... Best Options < $700?

On the way to work i started getting some squealing from my passenger front brake. went away with brake pressure so I figured it was something minor... started pulling to the right after another mile or so. Got to work and had a smoking rotor LOL.

Looks to me that the caliper is seized up. I'm gonna tear down the brakes this weekend and do a complete job, but thought I'd ask the forum gods if anyone had a reccomendation for a brake upgrade. I've looked at the OEM big brake upgrade from ECS, but $300 for some brackets and rotors seems steep. still need pads and I was going to ugrade to stainless lines while I'm in there.

Anyone have any brake upgrade reccomendations? somthing under the $700 total price tag in parts with calipers would be nice if possible to keep me from having to rebuild my current ones with 200k miles on them...

Thanks in advance!
- Ryan

Old 02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Brakes Upgrades... Best Options < $700?

visit ECS and get a BBK from there.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:03 PM
4th Gear

How about an A8 big brake kit upgrade?

I think you can get rotors and all the other stuff for about $600 but I am not sure.

Josh

Old 02-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm make believe

If you dont plan on running anything smaller than 16" wheels, A8/TT upgrade, if you do, just nice pads. Plus stick with plain face rotors. No point spending money of drilled/slotted unless you really like the look, you wont see the performance part of it unless you actually track the car.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

yeah, I'm running 18's, and my winter wheels are 18s as well. so looks like the a8/tt upgrade is the way to go. I won't be tracking the car, and even though I like the looks of slotted and drilled rotors, but was hoping to forego the slotted and drilled for new calipers instead of rebuilding them...

Is the tt upgrade escentially the same kit as the OE zimmerman kit on ECS right? That covers the fronts... anyone know where to get a caliper rebuild kit with dust covers and a new piston?

ECS OEM Big Brake Kit - (slotted/cross Drilled Aftermarket Zinc Or Cadmium Coated Rotor W/o Pads) ES#91[/align]TT Carrier, 12.3 One Piece Rotor learn more[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
5th Gear

autozone has caliper repair kits. i believe it has the piston and the o ring and boot.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Agreed. And the A8 kit looks like it'll be killer. Once I install it, I'll let you know. FYI, regarding what Cincy said, I opted for drilled/slotted for a different reason than heat dissipation. In the rain, my brakes suck serious ***. It feels like the pads are being floated off the rotors. I am hoping the drillings will allow the pads to push the water out the radial rotor vents so that my braking will be up to par. It's only a theory on why it's happening, but nothing else makes sense to explain it, and that should be a sure-fire way to fix the problem. Once they're on and not sitting in my kitchen anymore, I'll let you know.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

ummm so really dumb question i know but do these BBK's
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...%20Brake%20OEM
come with everything you need for 4 or 2 wheels?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

those are just the front rotors and carriers, you kinda have to piece together a kit with the accessories below

Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Tech Guru

everyone keeps telling people to go to ecs....... why is that? do people like spending more money? or am i just missing something when i look?

purems has the same kit for less money
http://www.purems.com/products/products.php/CA=1440

Quick Reply: Brakes Upgrades... Best Options < $700?