B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

BRAKES! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:45 PM
3rd Gear

with 3 to 4 normal stops per trip its going to take a while. i can seat brakes in less then 30 minutes if im driving specificly for that purpose. start with a few light 35-0, then do some harder stops, then ramp up the speed to like 60-0. then to finish it off go 60mph and put all your weight on the brake pedal. do that 2-3 times. then drive for a few miles and let them cool off. done.

and yes, duralast is a garbage brand. you get what you pay for. never trust a brand thats not only cheaper then the rest, but has a lifetime warranty on a maintenance item like brake pads or spark plugs or oil filters.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

It seems to be the ABS. Some of my wife's co-workers unplugged the ABS, and the sound/feeling stopped. Now, I know my install is flawless. The only thing I can think of is the ABS wheel speed sensor rotors. Could I have them upside-down? I think that MIGHT be the case. I should have taken a picture of the old rotors, dammit! Does anyone know of a picture that I can go by? The way I have it is the umbrella of the WSSR is facing away from the axle beam, so I'm assuming it's too close to whatever it "senses". Should the umbrella part be facing the axle? That's my last resort is flipping them the other way. Otherwise, I got nuthin! I have the actual service manual but of course, it doesn't show which way it goes, at least not clearly. Any help would be great!

Or it's a dirty/faulty sensor. I'm going to take it apart and see.

Last edited by Magliwan; 12-31-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: added information
Old 12-31-2008, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

My install was PERFECT. Flawless. It was dirty ABS sensors. I think the front ABS sensors were okay, but I cleaned them anyway. The rear sensors were gunked up and nasty. So, I cleaned them, and VIOLA! Problem solved!

So the nasty sensors were confusing the computer into causing the ABS to engage at lower speeds. I'm so relieved!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 PM
5th Gear

holy crap. now i gotta go try that, that is if i can get the daym things out. i have the same ABS engagement at low speeds as you.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

You'll have no trouble getting them out. A pair of pliers and a gentle pull/twist motion and they're out. The front ones took me a matter of 10 minutes a piece. All you need is to gently pull the sensors out, get some brake cleaner and a rag. I used an old toothbrush and a wire brush, too. I even cleaned the inside where the sensors go. Total, if you go around the car, it shouldn't take you more than an hour.

For the rear ones I took the rotors off and scrubbed everything around the sensors, popped the wheel speed sensor rotors off the rotor and wire
brushed them too.

Word of caution, though. With the rear ones, mine didn't have the rubber boots around the base of the sensor. I wound up pushing the sensors all the way in, and when I put the rotor back on, the sensor would scrub against the ABS wheel speed sensor rotors. So, I fully mounted the rotor and spun it. I kept it spinning and pulled the sensor out ever so slightly until the scrubbing stopped. And that was it. Put everything back together and it was fixed.