B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

brake line replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 AM
4th Gear
Default brake line replacement?

has anyone done this on there own yet? is it hard? mine are pretty brittle and look like the could disentegrate with a poof of wind lol.. dealership says its a 2 hour job pluse 125 bux for the lines.. should i let them do it? or do it myself?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 AM
2nd Gear

Are they completely crappy or just in like one spot? If the latter, you can cut out a chunk and connect new line with unions. (Do not use compression connectors as they are less reliable and even illegal in some states.) I have done this before and it took me a while to get used to flaring the lines and getting them to not leak, but once I figured that out, I could do it better. Autozone loans out flare tools that you can use. If you can find it, get galvanized, powder coated or even stainless steel brake line. Jegs sells the stuff.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
4th Gear

well i was thinking stainless steel brake lines and just replacing the whole line on both sides... how much would something like that be? like how much would i need to order or does it come in a kit with the direct amount already?

Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Brak...56203/10002/-1

I don't know what size fittings you'd need; you'd probably use 3/16" line though. You'll need the flare tool as well. You don't need to get a tubing bender because you can do it by hand as long as you're carful not to kink it. You have to radius your sharp bends.

If you mess up the coating by bending it, I would recommend spraying those sections with an anti-rust spray paint just to help make sure that the line stays protected. Though either way, it's not going to be worse than stock rust-wise.

I think Autozone sells coiled brake line, too, though it's probably more expensive. You can check though. They also sell short pieces that are pre-flared if you happen to need any of those. Probably not galvanized, though, but again, you can check with them and see.

Last edited by dragonrage; 09-30-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
4th Gear

Are we talking the hardlines that run the length of the car or the flexible ones going to the calipers?

If the flex, its fairly simple to replace and bleed, but, if the connections are corroded badly and wont come loose or break, it'll be more frustrating as you run back and forth to the store for parts.

Hardlines under the car are also fairly easy to actually do, but fairly frustrating to get in and out (like a a sway bar is).

So, easy enough if you are patient and prepared. Pulling your hair out if not.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 PM
2nd Gear

Well, it's possible that some people would get confused about this:
-Brake line = hard line
-Brake hose = flex hose

Pretty sure he knows what he's asking about, though.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:10 PM
4th Gear

Wasnt concerned about what he was asking... was concerned about what everyone else thought he was asking....

Lines are hard and hoses are flexible??? Hmm... Quick sample:

http://automechanics.wordpress.com/2...n-brake-lines/

http://www.pilotodysseyperformance.c...Line%20Kits%27

http://advanced-autosports.com/PROD0...components.htm

Brake Lines...

Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM
4th Gear
Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear

So? They're all off.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:34 PM
4th Gear

who's all off?? and i was referring to the hard lines not the hoses going to calipers

Quick Reply: brake line replacement?