B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Brake light flashing on dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake light flashing on dash

Hi all, new to Audi, just bought a 2000 A4 Quattro 2.8 yesterday. Tonight while I was driving, I could barley see a small flashing light on the dash. I get home, grab the manual, and it's the light just up and to the left of the battery light. So am I safe to assume that is brake as it says in manual? I can barely see just a blinking dot of that indicator. No ABS light on, and no beeping. On the center display, the brake pads worn light is blinking as well, but the brakes seem fine. Not sure if the lot I bought it from changed them or not. So my real question is, what would cause the brake light to blink? TIA

Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear

Your brake fluid is probably low. Either in the reservoir above the master cylinder back by the firewall or in the ABS reservoir behind the master cylinder. In the ABS Reservoir, you want the fluid level to be about 1/4" above the bottom of the screen. If it is low and you fill it, watch it for awhile, there may be a leak. DOT 4 fluid is recommended, but you can use DOT 3, they are compatible, DOT 4 just has a higher boiling point.

Brake pads worn light is on either because the brake pads ARE worn, or because the brake pads they put on didn't have the connector for the indicator and nothing is plugged in to them.

Last edited by markymarc; 01-19-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

The brake fluid reservoir is full. I'll have to check the abs reservoir in the morning.

Yeah I'm sure whoever just put some cheap pads on there without the connector. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the abs reservoir.