B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

brake caliper question - I haven't seen this covered before

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator
Default brake caliper question - I haven't seen this covered before

OK, so yesterday I detailed my car, and got it shining nicely. Everything looked really good...except part of the brake rotors. Since the A8 kit is a larger diameter rotor, and the stock A4 calipers are being used, the entire radius of the rotor isn't swept by the pad. As a result, my rotors look kind of goofy - the outer section (swept by the pad) is nice and plated-shiny. But closer to the hub, there is a "ring" about an inch or so wide, that isn't swept by the pad, so as a result it's got surface corrosion on it. I know that periodically I can pull the wheels and lightly sand that portion of the disc to get the corrosion off, but that's a lot of trouble and probably more than I'm going to go through for this.

What I'm wondering is if any of you have come across individuals or shops that have adapted the A8 caliper to the A4 to complement the rotors and also to take advantage of their greater surface area. I'd imagine that the A8 caliper/pad combo sweeps the whole radial surface of the rotor, but I don't know whether it'll bolt up to the TT carrier or not. Have any of you either done this or heard of it being done? Our local U-steal-it place has maybe one Audi 90 a year and that's about it, so experimenting by pulling A8 calipers off a junked car is out. Anyone heard of this being done? I'd like it for two reasons - one, to keep the rotors' surface corrosion off, but also for the increase in braking ability that the larger caliper would provide.

I imagine that some of the Porsche calipers sold through ECS would sweep a larger portion of the disc, but I'm not really up for dropping that kind of coin for calipers on an essentially stock 2.8. Input?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Default RE: brake caliper question - I haven't seen this covered before

If i knew how to do it i would hang up those little smiling ***** that say THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS

Old 04-17-2008, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 PM
4th Gear

pretty sure the a8 calipers are bigger than the b5 a4, almost like the S4 or bigger. If thats the the case then its highly unlikely that would bolt up to the tt carriers. You could try to find some boxster 4 piston calipers and just buy the adapters.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Site Moderator

A8 calipers are way bigger than the S4 HP2 calipers. I really have no idea what to do on this topic though. Gonna have to make some calls i would imagine.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Administrator

OK then, thank you so far. And jrock/CTDriver, I agree that the thread would be better with pics. I will have some tomorrow (I admit I was lazy at the time I posted and didn't go take a couple). I'll grab a couple tomorrow and put them up to show you what I mean.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Administrator

In this pic you can kind of see what I mean (I will add better ones tomorrow). At the time I took this, it was just starting to happen, but you may get the idea from here:

See how there is a "rust ring" starting to form at the innermost part of the rotor? That's the area that is not swept by the pad, so it's starting to corrode, as any uncleaned/unused part of a rotor will do. I'm wondering if there is a caliper out there that can sweep the entire rotor's surface, rather than just the outer part of it, as the A4 caliper does. It'd have the benefit of slowing/stopping the car more efficiently, since it's gripping a larger amount of the rotor, and would also keep the rotors' entire surfaces nice and shiny.

Sorry that's the only pic I have of it so far, but as I said, I will add some better ones tomorrow - it's pretty apparent at this point and very easy to see.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Administrator

OK, here are two pics that I just took - these show the rust very clearly. It's there because the caliper is moved outward to clear the larger rotor, and the pad doesn't sweep the full surface of the disc. That's what I want to eliminate, hopefully with something like an A8 caliper if its possible, but if not, maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and get Porsche calipers, unless anyone knows of another, larger caliper that could be bolted up to the A4 to take full advantage of the larger surface area of the A8 rotor. Here are the two pics:

Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 AM
5th Gear

hey bro, i'll go to autozone to check out the 2 brake pads and see if we can mod it to fit the an caliper

Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 PM

be carefull with modding your brake system. It's not something you want to F up on you while your driving...

wish I had an easy solution to your problem but i dont.

Quick Reply: brake caliper question - I haven't seen this covered before