B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Brake Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear
Default Brake Caliper

So im still trying to figure out this front end clunk, and im pretty sure it will stop when i push on the brakes. So i took the caliper off to check them, they looked fine to me but i need some help here. First, is that retaining clip (that metal clip on the outside) is that supposed to be pushing on the outside pad or just pushing on the caliper (cause it just pushes on the caliper on mine). Then my other question is when ive taken my caliper off to do work on the front/check them i just take off the big bolts at the back and slide it off then pull the rotor off, whats the reason for ever taking off those hex screws that have the dust covers on them??

I really think a loose brake part is very unlikely to be causing this clunk since it isnt rattleing when i brake or squeeking, but i thought id check it since some people say it can make it sound like a bad bushing. The pads are kinda loose i guess but nothing seems to be loose enough to be making sucha loud noise unless the hex bolts are (which i cant check since my hex set skips the size it needs, so i guess ill hafta buy one).

Old 06-25-2008, 02:27 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brake Caliper

does it clunk all the time or just when you turn

Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
3rd Gear

Did you check your sway bar endlinks?

The covered pan-head hex bolts are the slider pins for the calipers. You remove them when you're replacing brake pads.

Take a pic of the retaining clip.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:15 PM
5th Gear

make sure your inner pad is securely attached to the caliper.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear

The inner pad has those clips and seems to be tight, i dont hafta take those hex pins out to take the pad off though, the pads just sit in there. Ill try and get a picture of the clip, its just like hovering over the pad it doesnt actually touch them.

I think it clunks worst when im going straight, and least when im turning with the brakes applied. So in order from worst to best 1.) Straight no brakes, 2.) turned, 3.) straight w/ brakes/turning w/ brakes I replaced a sway bar link a while back, i have since rechecked them and they look good. The brakes dont shudder either.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 PM
5th Gear

o i thought you meant the sound goes away when you brake. after reading your last post i think it's your struts or maybe loose control arm. do you feel shaking at all?

Old 06-26-2008, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

Well when im going straight and hitting my driveway curb, it goes away when i brake but there is no other brake symptom- they dont shudder or anything when i step on them. Then at higher speeds when i tap my brakes i hear a clunk/pop. Thats what i was thinking too is that it might be my struts, they dont feel loose though. Ive had fleetfarm look at the front end (who has really reasonable rates and stuff and they are honest) they found a missing bolt on my tranny mount but they said other than that everything looks good... i put a bolt on and it still clunked. I now have an appointment tomorrow with a foreign service place whos gonna take a look at everything so we will see what they say.. Thanks for the help ill post back when i get the car back.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear

Could be motor mount, snub etc. You often get a clunk as weight shifts. Do you sometimes get the clunk as you accelerate too?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear

I dont think ive heard one when i accelerate, ill pay more attention, dont the motor mounts leak when they are bad?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear

The place i took it to is saying lower control arms, wouldnt it still clunk though with the brakes applied then?

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper