B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

bought 1.8ts quattro, issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:40 AM
1st Gear
Default bought 1.8ts quattro, issues

Hi everybody,

I am new on the forum, I had a look through the faq thread, if someone knows of my questions being mentioned in other threads please direct me those threads.

I just bought myself a 1.8ts quattro year 2000 (180 bhp) The climate control panel makes an electrical buzzing noise. If I press my hand against it stops or becomes a lot less loud but it returns immediately, any ideas? Do I need to worry?

This may be normal, , when running at idle, and disengaging the econ button,, the engine begins to struggle quite badly and it doesn't sound or feel very good, suggestions?

the temperature gauge for the coolant is always at 90C, (12 a clock) sometimes even slightly higher and after acceleration it may drop to 75-80, is this normal, not having a constant maintained temperature of below 90 ?

Thanks everyone,

greetings from Sweden

Old 11-26-2011, 11:51 AM

theres a little motor where those 3 slits are on the climate control head unit. potentially that. They usually get all this fuzzy dust in them. the last two i have taken apart have had a small minute mouse nest in there.

Name:  IMG_1152.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  134.0 KB

Old 11-26-2011, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
theres a little motor where those 3 slits are on the climate control head unit. potentially that. They usually get all this fuzzy dust in them. the last two i have taken apart have had a small minute mouse nest in there.
very nice, thank you jonbonesjones ! I'll have a look first chance I get

Last edited by Davidiot; 11-26-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: remowing picture
Old 11-26-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Davidiot
This may be normal, , when running at idle, and disengaging the econ button,, the engine begins to struggle quite badly and it doesn't sound or feel very good, suggestions?
This is the result of the AC compressor turning on and forcing your little 1.8T to work harder. Due to this behavior I often will wait until ambient temperature is 90-95 degrees F before engaging the AC compressor during the summer, and I have even thought about removing the AC altogether (but I have a GF now...).

Originally Posted by Davidiot
the temperature gauge for the coolant is always at 90C, (12 a clock) sometimes even slightly higher and after acceleration it may drop to 75-80, is this normal, not having a constant maintained temperature of below 90 ?
This is normal as well, during idle my coolant temp might jump to 92 deg C and often drops to 80C when cruising.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
This is the result of the AC compressor turning on and forcing your little 1.8T to work harder. Due to this behavior I often will wait until ambient temperature is 90-95 degrees F before engaging the AC compressor during the summer, and I have even thought about removing the AC altogether (but I have a GF now...).

This is normal as well, during idle my coolant temp might jump to 92 deg C and often drops to 80C when cruising.
Very nice, thank you. I'm used to my fathers 1.9 tdi quattro and it doesn't respond in the same way when engaging the AC compressor. This gas/petrol version really struggles with it. As soon as I engage it the engine revs become unstable for a moment and then the engine makes a lot more noise and vibration.

I had a look at the different chip/software providers because I'd like to increase the power output of the car but can't find one for the 1.8ts, there are plenty of course for the 1.8t. Does anybody know if the same software will work for both versions?

thanks !

Old 11-26-2011, 03:20 PM

1.8Ts? Sport version? The only thing you need to look for is that the chip tuners offer tuning for the particular ECU in your car. For example, GIAC lists the ECUs that they can tune:
GIAC - Software Programs
GIAC - Software Programs
Your car might be the version that the U.S. didn't get until 2001, that's why I listed for both 2000 and 2001 model years.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
1.8Ts? Sport version? The only thing you need to look for is that the chip tuners offer tuning for the particular ECU in your car. For example, GIAC lists the ECUs that they can tune:
GIAC - Software Programs
GIAC - Software Programs
Your car might be the version that the U.S. didn't get until 2001, that's why I listed for both 2000 and 2001 model years.
thank you, what is the easiest way to check the ECU number on my car? Can I search the VIN somewhere ?

Old 11-26-2011, 07:00 PM

If you have access to VAG-COM you can find out through that software, otherwise you might need to open up the ECU box and look at the ECU to find out which part number yours is.