B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Bored, took the car apart again

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Slut

Lol yea its def a Louis purse. Ground was kinda wet, car is greasy, so she hung it there.
So I redid the cams and everything and still won't crank. I'm kinda pissed. Thinkin the valves are prolly bent. Need to build the head anyway so maybe its a blessing in disguise.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Administrator

did you snap a TB or somethin?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

Found your problem.

Attached Thumbnails Bored, took the car apart again-b8ac4c68.jpg  
Old 06-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

^^^
Glad I wasn't the only one that saw that!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Tech Slut

lol, thanks dad...

But seriously, Ive been reading around and some people have had this problem when the flywheel has been stuck on the bell housing for one reason or another, but i set TDC after it was hooked up to the trans, so it cant be that. And awhile back, I dropped a loose oil fitting into my bell and it caught the teeth on the flywheel, seizing the engine. But experiencing that once, I was overly careful not to do it again lol.
I visually inspected all my valves (without removing them from the head), and they all seemed ok really. I know that doesnt mean they are def not bent, but at least they arent extremely bent. So i dont think this would cause the engine to seize up, especially since the head cycled before bolting it to the block, as did the crank. So Im a little stumped, and really dont want to tear it all down again (although i'm getting pretty damn quick at it lol).

Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
lol, thanks dad...

But seriously, Ive been reading around and some people have had this problem when the flywheel has been stuck on the bell housing for one reason or another, but i set TDC after it was hooked up to the trans, so it cant be that. And awhile back, I dropped a loose oil fitting into my bell and it caught the teeth on the flywheel, seizing the engine. But experiencing that once, I was overly careful not to do it again lol.
I visually inspected all my valves (without removing them from the head), and they all seemed ok really. I know that doesnt mean they are def not bent, but at least they arent extremely bent. So i dont think this would cause the engine to seize up, especially since the head cycled before bolting it to the block, as did the crank. So Im a little stumped, and really dont want to tear it all down again (although i'm getting pretty damn quick at it lol).
Well when you put the oil pan back on could something have gotten inside the inspection hole and not become a problem till you cranked it? And are both the cams set right? I mean, I'm sure you have checked already, but just those are the only things besides timing being off that I could think of. And even if the vales aren't bad I would check the head off the block, and rotated the crank till all the pistons went up and down manually before I cranked it. Toasted a suby motor like that once.

I still have to put my head back on this week, and these are things I'm hoping not to encounter myself.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Slut

Ok, so everything is good with the block n head. The starter just won't spin the flywheel. So I guess I need a new starter solenoid. No idea how it went bad just sitting tho.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey FasterA4ThanUrs where are you located? I'd love to check out the car, I'm just about wrapped up with my B6, just did 464awhp on our mustang dyno on 93.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by R.A.I. Motorsport
Hey FasterA4ThanUrs where are you located? I'd love to check out the car, I'm just about wrapped up with my B6, just did 464awhp on our mustang dyno on 93.
Im on the jersey shore... My buddy is going to try and hack my tune and redo it all on 1200's and maf-less, hes pretty good with all that ****, tunes lots of other audis evos and stis. I hope to be making more than 464, but that is still very respectable. If your at waterfest, I should be there too.

So I picked up a starter today and just got back, debating whether i wanna try and fire her up and really **** the neighbors off, (open downpipe at the moment)... fingers crossed.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:15 AM
1st Gear

When I got my bottom in together today I tried to turn the engine over by hand, and I noticed it was a lot harder to turn then it was before I think. probably due to the fact it wasnt fully lubricated and I jsut got it together. Im hoping its not gonna lead to the the no crank thing.

Quick Reply: Bored, took the car apart again