B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Boost issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Boost issues

Sup people??!! I need a bit of help here please,,ok I have A4 1.8t and I added a boost controler,,today it ran as hard as she ever ran and now can't seem to hold boost,,could it be DVR valve??

Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Won't hold boost as in, the boost builds up and then falls? Or it won't build boost at all, or at best just a little?

What's your boost gauge show that you're making for boost pressure?

Do you have a check-engine light? If so, what codes are in there?

The answers to these questions will go a long way toward solving the issue.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

Don't even know where to begin answering those questions ,,so it's creating about 3 pounds of boost and then dumps,,it's just not holding pressure,,check engine light has been on since the cold air intake was added,

Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Administrator

You need to get the ECU scanned and see what code(s) you have. That's the first step toward figuring it out. AutoZone and Advance will scan for free. Ask them for a printout of the codes and post them up. Since you got a CEL when you put the filter in, you may have damaged the MAF since a lot of the time the filters are over-oiled and the oil gets sucked into the MAF and cooks it. Could be the issue. You won't know where to start until you scan it though.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

Ok I'll go to my boys shop and get it scanned,,I just took her out for a drive and it's not creating boost but yet I hear the turbo spooling,,I did open my boost controler all the way yesterday and drove her hard,,but I'll go get it scanned shortly,,hey and thank you so much!!!

Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Sure thing. Remember you need to be careful messing with these cars. First purchase for any turbo Audi should be a boost gauge. Raising boost without knowing what you're setting it for is a recipe for disaster. And the gauge tells you more than just peak boost - you'll know your boost response, be able to tell if you have a vacuum leak, etc. Once it's fixed, remove the MBC, get a gauge, and get the proper chip and diverter valve to run more power safely.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

Should of gone with a non-oiled filter because like he said the oil ofter causes problems with the sensor. I went with an aFe non oiled filter over a K&N oiled filter and haven't had any problems.

Get those codes read though.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear

I wasn't even aware you could run a boost controller on an Audi. Never seen someone post anything about running those here.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

Ok,,so just got back from the shop and what happened was I over boosted and went on limbo mode,,apparently those K3 can't boost more than 12lbs,,,so I'm guessing upgrading turbo,,manifold,,is next to do,,only problem I see is that I'm not sure if I upgrade the turbo will my ECU go on (boost limbo) again

Old 08-23-2014, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Also any sugestions on CHIPs for my car??? Or am I better off sending the ECU to get flashed??

Quick Reply: Boost issues