B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Boost Gauge is on it's way!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Boost Gauge is on it's way!

Hey guys... my b-day is in a few days and some money has been coming my way so I have been updating the car a little bit. I started with the air filter upgrade (another thread) and now I just ordered the Podi gauge pod with the Stewart Warner mechanical boost gauge.... Podi has them 30% off right now for Black Friday!!! (this isn't an advertisement, just wanted to share in case anyone else wants a good deal on the Podi setup)

Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

I've been interested in getting a boost gauge. could you send me a link to that site? thanks.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

http://podi.ca/Packages.aspx?CarID=6

I ordered the stewart warner package..... great price

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

My boost gauge came today!! I was busy with other stuff all day, but I put a movie on for the kids and ran outside to do the install.... It was a pretty straight forward install, about an hour..... maybe an hour and a half. I got it all hooked up and I think it looks awesome, haven't had a chance to test it out though.... just started the car and turned on the lights to make sure it lights up and it atleast has vacuum (20psi). I am excited to drive it tomorrow! Maybe I can take a couple of pics for y'all too.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the link! Just ordered one.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Nice!! Which one did you get? The same one I got? I just got back from a little test drive and I am very happy with the fitment of the pod and the gauge works well! I put the white LED in mine (the one I got comes with a white led and a red led).... th ered one matches the dash pretty well, but my speedo and tach are white (not sure what year they started that) so I decided the white looks better.

One thing that drove me nuts with the install.... The instructions I was reading said to use a T8 torx screwdriver for the little screws waaay up inside the lower shift column (in order to remove the upper column cover). I drove EVERYWHERE to find a T8 screwdriver that would fit inside the little hole and go far enough up to reach the screw. FINALLY I found a set at lowes that had what I needed, got home and when I went to get the screw out it wouldn't work. I grabbed a flashlight and looked up into the hole and found that it was a regular philips head screw!! I wasted about an hour and a half finding the tool and I didn't even need it! Everything else with the install was a breeze

So in short, look in the hole before you go for the tools

Old 12-05-2009, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

I went with the same one you ordered, the one with the Black Friday discount special on it. I was considering the digital gauge but I looked up some videos of the digital gauges and I think it'd be far too hyperactively distracting. I've been wanting a boost gauge for a while but never actively looked into it; I never liked the pillar pods or the DIY A/C mount style - but these look pretty awesome. Can't wait to hook it up.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

I didn't like the electronic gauges either and I am the same way with the pillar pods and the vent mount.... the vent mount is creative and a nice diy if you're up for it, but I like how OEM this pod looks. You'll be thrilled when you get it installed. The only thing I don't really care for is that the trim on the gauge is silver... luckily my car is silver so it isn't too out of place. I have NO complaints though, especially for the price.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Good to hear! Yeah I like the OEM look myself - I think this is the only mount I've seen that actually looks factory (but again, I didn't look very hard). It's also good to hear that it isn't a PITA to install.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

Dude, seriously, why wouldn't you go for the unit that displays it in your factory display for just a few dollars more? $250 for the whole kit. just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge is on it's way!