B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Administrator

I was going to suggest using the left vent rather than the center - IMO it's a better look. Your post confirms that. Looks very good in there.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

wow, yeah, I like the left wayyyy better than the center. But i'd still rather have a side pod X-D

Old 10-24-2009, 07:11 PM

nice work kayakman, I did the same thing wiuth my gauge - used a dremel to make a custom mount in the left vent and I am happy with it. If you can use a dremel it really makes sense not to spend money on a mount. Also, if you have an airbag in the column you wont want to put a gauge pod on it.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

^ thats a good point too, putting three gauges over top of the air bag is a good way to f*ck yourself up lol

Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 PM

I don't watch it all the time, it's more to check if my turbo is doing OK, so for me, it was not so important to see it. Actaully, I have no problem with visual obstructions, unless it rains...When I turn the wipers on, then it covers half of the gauge.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:21 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
^ thats a good point too, putting three gauges over top of the air bag is a good way to f*ck yourself up lol
Indeed! haha. I dont actually have the pillar airbags so I put it on the left for a couple reasons:
1. Its a gauge. Its for the driver's use. Why put it in the center of the entire car? It looks silly when Mini did it, and it'll look silly in the Audi.
2. Since I don't have the airbags in the pillars, it'll look good if I do decide for more gauges in a pillar mount pod.

I've never like the column gauge pods. Restricts cluster visibility. Looks like some cancerous growth from the steering wheel. No thanks.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM
4th Gear

You have a point about the column pods, but at the same time, the pods on the pillars just seem to "fast and furious" for me, unless you add the biggest tach you can find, then you're cool... haha

But seriously, I know I need a boost gauge, especially since my car was supposedly chiped 8 years ago, but I have no idea where to put it and still look somewhat stock. I like the vent idea, but I actually use them.

Maybe I'll think of a whole new DIY (reinvent the wheel while I'm at it) and post some pics. I'll have a whole year to think of something...

Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 AM

the vent setup still allows air to flow past the gauge and into the car, but you lose the ability to aim the vent becuase the vertical fins must be removed and the hardware on my gauge doesnt allow for any up and down motion.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

What he said ^ In the driver's mount you'll still be able to get directed air from the left center vent. (And the center too if you're greedy.) You could throw it in the center vent, but that'd neglect the poor backseaters.

And Brad, I completely agree on the pillar pods. Too flashy for euro style. I'm gonna look into options similar to my vent setup, but I dont have any need for other gauges yet, so who knows.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 PM
4th Gear

Even if the car has curtain air bags the A piller doesn't come off all the way, it just pops out and there is even a strap to hold the A-pillar cover on when the air bags deploy.

I small shot of my center gauge setup, gauges face toward the driver like they should. lol

Quick Reply: boost gauge