B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Boost Controller????

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Boost Controller????

Hello all,

I just installed a boost controller, and I know what everyone is going to say about over boosting and how I should just go and spend the money on a chip. But what I want to know is how much boost can the stock internals handle on a daily basis? and also how much will it ware down on the life of my turbo (don't really care becuase I was a buy a gt, but just curious) Right now, I am spiking 21 and holding 17, before the controller I was spiking 10 and holding around 7. Lastly, I need to replace my clutch and plan on doing it myself with the help of my cousin. What is a good clutch to go with as far as stage wise (1,2,3) and brand?

thank you so much in advance

Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Site Moderator

The point of a chip or tune is to remap fuel and timing ALONG with upped boost. You can't take advantage of the added boost from your mbc without the 2 other key things (fuel and timing.) All you are doing is blowing a bunch of extra hot air. Pointless. Don't worry about a clutch until you get some mods that actualy add power. What you are doing is hugely frowned uppon, but it's your engine. Hopefuly you don't blow a hole in it from detonating.

Whatever happened to you getting in on the speed tuning group buy? You sort of commited to it and then we never heard from you till now...

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 10-10-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 PM

yeah, not a good idea without a good tune...

Old 10-10-2008, 08:53 PM

what kind of car do you have? trans? year?

If you have an older A4 1.8T than you will need a tune to increase boost....but, if you have a newer A4, then you will be able to do the diode mod....

you can safely run 8psi without a tune

get yourself a tune and a new Dv and then you can turn it up to ~19psi

well, gl!

and hopefully you have a boost/vac guage...if you don't, get one before you start messing with your mbc...

Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

I have a 98 1.8t 5 spd, I have looked into a new dv/bov and have read a lot about how pre 2000 models don;t have map senors and due to the fact that its a closed loop turbo system a pure bov would mess up my fuel management system. But then I know people who runs bovs on pre 2000 1.8ts with no problem? I have looked at a few forge models the 007 is the one I think I want. As to fuel upgrades you refer to i'd like a better explanation.

Also to answer your question/ accusation Onepoint, I never received the complete information for the gb. By the time I started to wonder, I figured it was too late.

thanks for your advice guys

Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Site Moderator

Accusation? Heh... The complete information was in post #1 of the group buy thread. I pm'd you at least once, you didn't sign on for days, maybe over a week, and I also emailed you about it. No big deal though.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Well I'm sure as you can tell (due to my number of posts and date I signed up) I'm new to af, and audi's too. I'm not seeking conflict only advice and facts, so therefore I apologize for the mix up and am still looking for advice.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Site Moderator

Not seeking conflict either. I was just wondering how you thought you were going to get in on the group buy without communication. It's really no big deal though. I gave as much help as I can lend on the boost controller topic. Use it correctly in conjunction with a chip or lose it.

You can still get a chip from speedtuning if interested. The cost is only a little bit more than the group buy price.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Oh yeah and as to the aforementioned question about my clutch. My clutch recently went out (93k isn't bad for a stock cluck). So my question about which stage is brand is in fact a valid one. And one i'm still waiting for advice on.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Site Moderator

If I was going to go BT I personaly would go with a southbend stage 3. You would benefit from reading the stickies, particularly the A4 newbie guide.

Quick Reply: Boost Controller????