B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Body Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:26 AM
5th Gear

s4 conversion can get pricey. bumper alone is 600 unpainted.

and not all reiger kits are made equal. last i heard they discontinued the better abs plastic and most places are selling fiberglass versions. you get what you pay for

Old 01-31-2009, 04:39 AM
2nd Gear

The mod had these prices listed:

Bumper parts
8D0-807-103J GRU
S4 FRONT BUMPER $383.95
8D0-807-977 GRU Lic plate trim $50.50
8D0-807-345-L-GRU
Left Grill $20.30
8D0-807-346-L-GRU
Right Grill $20.30

here's the DIY:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext39.shtml

I'm guessing these are new part prices, how much less would they be used? Anything particular to look out for when buying used parts like these online?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Buying them used, it's all up to what the seller is listing them for and what they'll take. With body parts (especially the front bumper) you want to make sure it has no cracks (or at least minimal ones) since patching it properly can negate any savings you get from buying used. Try to get one in great shape, and that's about it. Usually sides and rear are less prone to damage than the front.

As for rubbing when cornering, if you're lowering the car properly, the new suspension will be stiffer and less likely to allow your body parts to scrape or rub when compressed. You probably don't have to worry about that unless you really slam the car down, and a couple inches isn't enough to do that.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:03 PM
3rd Gear

Have you looked up the Euro-S4 rear? Those look BA. Theyre about $750. Also a Euro trunk really completes the look. But no it wont be cheap, you gotta pay to play

Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

I can do the Euro S4 rear bumper $630 shipped.

Generally, after a certain dimension, the more you buy, the cheaper shipping becomes.
I use UPS freight for bulky items, and they will combine shipping, within reason, as long as the dimensions / weight don't change drastically.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to look out for those things. I do plan on lowering it an inch or two, so it's good to hear that it won't be as likely to rub as I thought it would.

$600 to $700 just for an unpainted rear bumper is a little too pricey for me. Would my car look ok with the OEM S4 front bumper and lowering springs being the only exterior mods?

Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 PM
2nd Gear

I'll soon be moving to state that requires a front license plate (sucks, I know). I've seen mods before that mount the license plate to the side of the bumper, but I don't really like that. Is there a decent looking way to mount it to the top center of the bumper? I'm not sure if the plate would be wider than the top part of the bumper itself. If so, I'm guessing it won't work.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 AM
3rd Gear

Why do you want a body kit..? Our cars look so much better low and OEM. S4 front bumpers are nice, but I don't think they look right without S4 sides and rear. But I would not want to make mine an s-line B5. A4 front, S4 sides and rear bumper FTW. Anything is better than an aftermarket body kit... I don't get what is with this forum thinking kits are so nice and stuff.. Get low and wide instead.
Best of luck to you in Iraq by the way

Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 AM

S4 side skirts use different mounting brackets then the A4 and require a different rocker panel i believe. thats why i didn't get the sides done on mine ($500+ just for the rocker panel and brackets), but the front and rear are easy to put on.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by aledelic42
Why do you want a body kit..? Our cars look so much better low and OEM. S4 front bumpers are nice, but I don't think they look right without S4 sides and rear. But I would not want to make mine an s-line B5. A4 front, S4 sides and rear bumper FTW. Anything is better than an aftermarket body kit... I don't get what is with this forum thinking kits are so nice and stuff.. Get low and wide instead.
Best of luck to you in Iraq by the way
Personal preference is why - everyone has their own idea of what looks good or bad. Hell, everyone sweats the B7 RS4 wheels, and yeah they're nice, but to me they're not the be-all-end-all of wheels for an Audi as many seem to believe them to be. That's just my preference - no better or worse than anyone else's.

I love the look of the B5 as-is, but at the same time, tasteful enhancement is never bad, be it aftermarket or OEM-derived. As for low and wide, sounds great - low is easier than wide though. To properly go wide, you're looking at many thousands of dollars in metalwork, a respray, and the considerable cost of large (and usually forged, multipiece) wheels to fill those newly-widened fenders - cheaping out and using bondo flares usually looks like hell and will crack and separate the first time there's a decent temperature change. Kind of hard to justify that kind of scratch on a car that has been model-replaced three times already. And to be honest, a lot of members in the B5 section are younger now, many still students, and although the price of the car has allowed it to be accessible to many on a student's typical income, the cost of that custom bodywork hasn't dropped along with it. For that reason too, aftermarket (or OEM-derived) kits are going to be more popular and more widely used than custom bodywork.

Quick Reply: Body Kit Questions