B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

From BMW to Audi (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

I see where you are coming from SaMataras, but my car is up for a swap/sale regardless either higher or lower miles i do plan on putting something into it, it is a given with used cars. If it were a BMW i wouldn't worry cause i am very familir with that manufacturer but am unknown to Audi/VW in general. not really sick of bimmer but would not mind trying something new in the euro line of things that is!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Legal Moderator

In my opinion a 540 is far away from an a4 four cylinder. I guess it depends if you know what your getting yourself into. Is just smaller and slower. My concern would be the mileage. There's not too many 200 plus a4s around, but like any car if you maintain it it will last. I could see it if the a4 was in awesome shape. My advice would maybe look for an a6 if you're in the market for an Audi. Little bit bigger and if you get a 2.7 pretty fast too

Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear

e30 and option.. i love e30 and the 4cyl are nice on gas mileage

Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 AM
1st Gear

I can see where you are coming from, if it was highly maintained then it will not be a big deal to me. As mentioned the 540 is.....well, more i guess so i would want to make sure it is worth it, not in value per say but in reliability.

I have been on the hunt for an E30 or maybe even another E36, i had not had Audi on my mind at all until someone offered then got me to do some searching and i think they are growing on me...

We will see, he has yet to respond to any emails so it may just be a bust.

but thank you everyone .

Josh

Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

Josh,

Glad I found your thread. I too have an e34 (gumbysE34 on bimmerforums. I recognize your sig). Keep the E34! There's a few reasons I say this:

For one, they're cursed! In that 90% of the E34 owners I've met over the years who've sold theirs thinking there's something better out there, always come back and buy another E34. So you can save yourself the trouble by keeping it! haha.

Also, you aren't going to see spectacular gas mileage with a 1.8t B5, and they require 91 octane (I think you can get away with 89 in the M60 v8). Chipped on the stock 15 in wheels I'm seeing 27 highway and about 23 combined. On 18s I get about 24 highway and 20-22 combined. In comparison, I know the 540s don't do too well around town, unless you really baby it, but on the highway, I've seen them return low 30s. It's a trade-off, and for the power difference, I'd take the 8 cyl any day.

Third, E34s are MUCH cheaper to maintain. Plain and simple. Even the 540s.

Take my word for it, I've been heavy into E34s for quite a few years now, and there's a reason I still have mine, despite owning a B5 A4 as well. I have a relationship with my E34, not just ownership. There's something about that car that keeps me from ever getting rid of it. If you could afford to have both, I'd TOTALLY recommend the B5 A4. If you're a DIYer and don't mind wrenching on it, the payoff for having a machine for every season is a HUGE benefit. Then you could put the E34 in the garage and preserve it, like me However, if you're limited to one car, keep the E34. There isn't a car that will reward you with luxury, reliability, style and practicality all in one package. There's always a compromise of those features in every other car out there, aside from it.

Hope this helps!

-Tim

Old 12-19-2011, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Hey Tim

I thought i had recognized the name (to a point) on here, I have contemplated selling, then keeping and selling again so i know what you mean. At this point i am limited to one car unfortunately and the RWD open diff in the winter is not all that fun. Also i do have a very tight parking area wehre it is almost like trying to park a bus in my spot with the 540i.

I was originally looking for an E30/5 or E36/5 in it's place sense i have had them before and would love them again but i did receive the offer and figured i would check it out.