B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Blown turbo question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Help!!!

Whats up fellas?

So today was a test of my patience. I got all the bolts to my oil pan out except this one. its stripped... Even the ones in the bellhousing that I had to drop the subframe for........Name:  936b620f.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  76.6 KB

How would you guys go about removing this hex screw?

Its kinda deep. like maybe 10in from the screw to the end of the pan..

please help I neeeed to get this off..

Last edited by shhmaudi; 07-12-2010 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Slut

Umm they need to come out, there is a plastic shroud in between the oil pan and the crankshaft, but a ball bearing could definitly find its way past that. They are telling you that the ball bearings came out and traveled down your oil return? What turbo are you running? Ive never heard of such a thing lol. Id check to see if they are lodged in the oil return line still. If they had gotten up into the guts of the engine, id think you would know it by now.
As for that last bolt, work on it with some vice grips and maybe a torch, be careful tho. clean the area first.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
Umm they need to come out, there is a plastic shroud in between the oil pan and the crankshaft, but a ball bearing could definitly find its way past that. They are telling you that the ball bearings came out and traveled down your oil return? What turbo are you running? Ive never heard of such a thing lol. Id check to see if they are lodged in the oil return line still. If they had gotten up into the guts of the engine, id think you would know it by now.
As for that last bolt, work on it with some vice grips and maybe a torch, be careful tho. clean the area first.
Yes they told me that the bearings are not in the CHRA and most likely traveled down the oil return line. So they are most likely in the oil pan.. I have never heard of this either.. I searched and never came back with anything either.. I am running a GT28rs. I poured water through my oil return line and it flowed.. also blew air too. Def not in the engine. I appreciate all the help. Sucks not having my car running

Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator

I agree that the pan needs to come off - you don't want to take it on faith that you got them all out (if the magnet-fishing does work).

Old 07-11-2010, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

are the bearings ceramic?

meaning would they be magnetic?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Slut

^^ I'm assuming they are stainless steel, which most times is not magnetic anyway. Just work on that last bolt and pop the pan off. GL

Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 AM
1st Gear

well how can I get this screw out?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Administrator

have you tried using one of those sharp bolt remover things? something like this.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
have you tried using one of those sharp bolt remover things? something like this.
I have used something like this
http://0.tqn.com/d/homerepair/1/0/V/..._extractor.jpg

all it did was strip it out more.. so I tried drilling and no dice.. im so frustrated..its rounded on the outside.. Does that thing bite into it as you turn?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Its supposed to, but i'll be honest i tried to use it one of the rear caliper carrier bolts that i stripped when i did my back brakes and it didn't work all that well, was just thinkin out loud

Quick Reply: Blown turbo question?