B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Blown head gasket...need advice making a tough decision.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4 2000
Hey man. Well, it's a slow one since I don't have much free time. I need to make a list of all the parts I need too so I can actually get the job done since I don't even have the tool I need to get the head bolts out for starters.

I need new head bolts of course and I want to get a complete gasket kit and timing belt kit so everything will be in top shape. And not to forget getting the head resurfaced. It will still be a lot cheaper in the end to get the car running compared to buying another car. That is if all goes well God willing. Messing up the timing was my biggest concern but if everything is marked then there shouldn't be anything to worry about I guess.
New head bolts and that special wrench for removing and installing them. Torque on them is high as well; 44 ft. lbs. plus 90 degrees. Here it is,

VIM V3452 VW & Audi Head Bolt Tool - Amazon.com VIM V3452 VW & Audi Head Bolt Tool - Amazon.com

You can always re-set the timing. As long as you don't try to rotate anything you'll be good.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4 2000
Hey man. Well, it's a slow one since I don't have much free time. I need to make a list of all the parts I need too so I can actually get the job done since I don't even have the tool I need to get the head bolts out for starters.

I need new head bolts of course and I want to get a complete gasket kit and timing belt kit so everything will be in top shape. And not to forget getting the head resurfaced. It will still be a lot cheaper in the end to get the car running compared to buying another car. That is if all goes well God willing. Messing up the timing was my biggest concern but if everything is marked then there shouldn't be anything to worry about I guess.
Funny I'm literally in the same position as you with this, as well as just putting over 1.5k into the car to make it run good and find this out.

I'd like to do this myself as well but I'm worried about the timing too. In theory I know how to do it, it's just actually doing it for the first time that's pretty daunting.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JavanT
...I'm worried about the timing too. In theory I know how to do it, it's just actually doing it for the first time that's pretty daunting.
It is scary the first time. But if you follow the directions, it's really not that hard to do. If you're really nervous, pull the plugs after you're done and turn the motor over 2 full revolutions with a rachet wrench and a big socket.

Last edited by mtroxel; 10-26-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Funny I'm literally in the same position as you with this, as well as just putting over 1.5k into the car to make it run good and find this out.

I'd like to do this myself as well but I'm worried about the timing too. In theory I know how to do it, it's just actually doing it for the first time that's pretty daunting.
Yep, the first time is scary but remember these things are assembled per specific instructions and if you follow those you will do fine. Be patient and review each step. Leave no bolt un-torqued but DON'T over torque. Good luck.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob

New head bolts and that special wrench for removing and installing them. Torque on them is high as well; 44 ft. lbs. plus 90 degrees. Here it is,

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/V3452-Audi-Head-Bolt-Tool/dp/B000PH6VLU

You can always re-set the timing. As long as you don't try to rotate anything you'll be good.
Ah so it's 44 ft. lbs. I was going to ask what the torque spec was and you answered that for me thank you.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob

Yep, the first time is scary but remember these things are assembled per specific instructions and if you follow those you will do fine. Be patient and review each step. Leave no bolt un-torqued but DON'T over torque. Good luck.
I'm not even using instructions. I'm just taking apart everything that I know that needs to come off. Maybe because I did a timing belt job on another car already, that gave me a little confidence to do this. Just the whole idea of removing the cams had me a little nervous.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
It is scary the first time. But if you follow the directions, it's really not that hard to do. If you're really nervous, pull the plugs after you're done and turn the motor over 2 full revolutions with a rachet wrench and a big socket.
I'm assuming this is resetting the timing? If I go this route what exactly does it mean?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

I'm assuming this is resetting the timing? If I go this route what exactly does it mean?
No, all he's saying is that when you put the timing belt on, turn the crank gear a few times to make sure that the marks still line up perfectly with the cam gear. That assures you that the timing is good.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear

What I'm saying is, before you start the car...in fact before you get the front of the motor back together all the way, pull out the spark plugs. Then you put a big socket (I don't remember the size...32mm?) over the crank that sticks out of the damper pulley and you turn the motor over with a ratchet wrench. The idea is it will turn nice, easy and controlled with no compression (hence the plugs on your bench) and you can tell if you made any mistakes without pistons flying at valves at high speed.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
What I'm saying is, before you start the car...in fact before you get the front of the motor back together all the way, pull out the spark plugs. Then you put a big socket (I don't remember the size...32mm?) over the crank that sticks out of the damper pulley and you turn the motor over with a ratchet wrench. The idea is it will turn nice, easy and controlled with no compression (hence the plugs on your bench) and you can tell if you made any mistakes without pistons flying at valves at high speed.
Oh alright I understand then. Sounds "easy" enough. Although I have been thinking of selling the car as is.. What do you think I could get for it?

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket...need advice making a tough decision.