B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Blow Off Valve for Audi A4... YAY or NAY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Default Blow Off Valve for Audi A4... YAY or NAY?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

I have become somewhat addicted to EBAY. I usually find CRAP like "INCREASE 20 HP+ with BLOW UP DOLL OF THE FUTURE MOD" but this one caught my eye because it resembles a GFB BOV.

I dont know, I asked the guy and he said alot of people have this valve and it works fine, no check engine light has been reported to him. He has a good rating and.... he responded to my email within seconds. He seems like a good guy.

Im just iffy about the product. I would love to have a BOV but Ive heard stories that they take out the MAF, which I just had replaced because of my disgruntled K&N Filter. I know I have asked before about BOV's but this one, for its price especially, looks promising.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Blow Off Valve for Audi A4... YAY or NAY?

Not recommended for an A4, but if you still want to do it pm David_K, he did one on his A4.

Old 09-09-2004, 08:59 PM
2nd Gear

DIE DEAD CAT! DIE!!! err...wait...oh nevermind

Old 09-09-2004, 09:26 PM
4th Gear

Yeah david_k is good person to ask about this, Although his engine is destroyed.

BTW- cant you just make the sound with your mouth? its cheaper and less damage on your car.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:38 PM

When I got my A4, the first modification I did was a BOV. When it was first put on i noticed a very very very very slight lag after shifting gears. This is because instead of using the recirculated air to spool the turbo, the Blow off valve pushed it to the atmosphere with a Nice "swoosh" signaling to everybody that i have a turbo.

Now here are the benifits of a bov:
-Nice, cool, intimidating sound
-Eliminates all possibility of compressor surge
(You only need this if you are runnign a setup similar to mine.
In my case, if i would have ran on a DV it would have destroyed my turbo.)

Here are the anti-benefits:
-you will run a little lean
(this is not really a problem)
-After a long time, maybe a year, you will have clogged your cat conv.
(this can be prevented by switching to a catless downpipe)
-Imolas4 will hate you forever

PM me with any questions

Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 PM

One more thing dont buy the hybrid valve. Its for pansy-*** fence stradlers who dont want to have to choose between the two. Here's your real options:

1. OEM TT Diverter Valve

2. TurboXS Type H-Rfl

Old 09-09-2004, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

I dont know if this is an apples to apples comparison but..........DSM's have a recirculating system too. When a bov is added they run rich not lean b/c the ecu thinks that there is still x amount of air in the charge pipe so it adds fuel accordingly. Thats why it destroys your cat, it will also void your warranty. The only way to make a dsm w/ a bov run right (other than a few odd exceptions) is a piggyback or standalone system.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:25 PM

I had that same BOV on my S-10, and it is pretty nice for the $$. It didn't have the horn, but otherwise identical. Contrary to the way this type of valve is always advertised, it is NOT "adjustable" as stated. The top screws into place, and should be screwed down tight to seal propery. There is no reason for a BOV to be adjustable, since boost is controlled by the wastegate, not the BOV. [sm=icon_blah.gif]

Sorry, that always sets me off when I see ads for that BOV and they say it's "adjustable". [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Anyway, it always worked very nicely on my S-10.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:41 PM

Well... I bought it. Im ready for the hatred from Imolas4!

I dont think I will always use this, though.. only when a track day comes about or AUTO X or I plan to race my friends **** FOCUS ST (which he thinks is the fastest car on earth (see ongoing post in OFFTOPIC SECTION) .

Anyways... Ill tell you all how it is. For the money, it seems alright. And it seems there was one satisfied customer. I just want something that works.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:39 AM

Sorry fellas i meant rich not lean. Stupid...stupid...stupid.

Quick Reply: Blow Off Valve for Audi A4... YAY or NAY?